Multiple login options but only one pvs file

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Keegers, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Keegers

Keegers Member

We have a user that when she starts parallels, each time it says there are two parallels pvs files on the machine and every time it starts, it appends a 1 to the end of the file name.
    Example:
    First start it will say:
    Windows XP
    Windows XP

Second:
    Windows XP 1
    Windows XP 1

Third:
    Windows XP 1 1
    Windows XP 1 1

Etc...

I have verified there is only 1 pvs file on the computer and it is in the default location that we specify (off the root /Parallels).
    Has anyone else seen this?
    If you need more information please let me know.
    ~Keegers

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. DaTa

DaTa Hunter

Hello,

That's really a strange situation.

I recommend you the following:

- go to Finder -> Applications -> Parallels and launch Parallels Desktop
    - create a new virtual machine using winxp.hdd (hard drive) the of virtual machine you have.
    So you will have access to all the data and applications from there. You can find out how to create a new VM using existing .hdd in the documentation:

http://www.parallels.com/download/file/doc/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac_User_Guide.pdf

(starting from the page 67. Select the Custom installation mode. When asked about hard disk image options, please, choose "Use an existing image file as a hard disk").

See, if new machine will report about 2 configs.

3. Keegers

Keegers Member

I finally spoke with a Parallels tech on this one. They had me move the vhd file, uninstall Parallels, delete the Parallels folders, repair permissions, reinstall and create a new pvs file using the old hard drive.

4. Keegers

Keegers Member

This did not work. Any other thoughts?

We are storing the parallels files in a non-default location (a folder off the root). I have the defualt location changed in the settings. Is there something with the permissions that would cause this?

5. Keegers

Keegers Member

This turned out to be a profile issue. I deleted the users home folder and recreated it. This cleared up the issue.

6. bcd2

bcd2 Bit poster

THis did it for me...

I quit Parallels, deleted these from the terminal and restarted. Seemed to solve the problem

rm -r ~/.config/Parallels
    rm -r ~/.parallels_settings
    rm -r ~/Documents/.parallels-vm-directory

It was probably the last one that did the trick. I also had to rename the vm once I restarted since it had a bunch of "1 1 1 1 1 1 1"'s after it.