"Multiprocessor Free" regardless of number of processors?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by SalomonA, Jul 14, 2009.

1. SalomonA

SalomonA Bit poster

Hi,

I'm testing Parallels 4 for Mac and set up a Windows XP VM with a single processor to test its performance. I noticed that the system event log would register "Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 3 Uniprocessor Free". I benchmarked and tested applications and everything was fine.

I then changed the settings to allow the VM use 2 processors and noticed the system event log would register "Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 3 Multiprocessor Free". I benchmarked and tested applications and everything was fine and running even faster.

After I shutdown the VM and changed the preferences back to 1 processor, I noticed the system event log registered the boot up not with the uniprocessor kernel but the multiprocessor. All the while, the perceived performance hit rock bottom: XP turned slow as molasses.

I did boot up and shutdown tens of times and it never reverted to the uniprocessor kernel on its own (only by creating a new VM and reinstalling XP). Is this a Windows problem or a Parallels problem?

2. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

That's both problems. XP won't revert properly all by itself to the right kernel and Parallels Desktop won't really help. I have read many work-around for this, but have personally only found two to work: (1) set it back to 2 processors, or (2) while configured for single processor re-install Windows on top of it (will offer to repair the existing configuration and migrate registry).

3. Fred Flintstone

Fred Flintstone Bit poster

sorry to jump in here
    but where and how do I set my VM to have 2 processors ??
    I have a dual core macbook, but my WinXP VM shows just a single processor