My DVD drive is not seen

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by TJandMAC, Sep 13, 2006.

1. TJandMAC

TJandMAC Junior Member

It's odd. I put a DVD in, it knows the title, but won't play it. Says my computer does not have a DVD player. Which I know the iMac has. Of course.

So. Another bug? Something I'm not doing? This product gets less and less favorable to me, the more I use it.

I know that if somethings don't change soon with this product, the word of mouth (negative), will kill it.

2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

I just tried playing a DVD back in my VM, and I see DirectX garbage all over the screen. Nice big blocks of MPEG2 everywhere.... It isn't DeCSSing correctly. It looks like the part of DirectX that is supposed to handle decrypting the video data off the DVD is not working.

It is already a known problem that the video card in Parallels does not support DirectX. This has nothing to do with the DVD drive. I can "read" a DVD disc just fine in mine, I just can't watch it.

Try it with a non-encrypted DVD, those play back just fine. You can decrypt your DVDs yourself if you don't mind breaking some laws. (Digital Milinnium Copywright Act)

3. TJandMAC

TJandMAC Junior Member

Thanks for your reply. I was not aware the video card in Parallels does not support
    DirectX

This does not bode well. And, to make matters more frustrating, I am now
    experiencing
    some problems with one of my (PC only) programs in Parallels.