My sound is still broken.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ricka, May 20, 2006.

1. ricka

ricka Bit poster

Hi,

I have an 20" iMac with 1.5G of ram and I have been experimenting with Parallels since beta 2. Sound has never worked for me. I was hoping that the problem would be fixed in the RC but it isn't. Windows XP SP2 reports that Windows has trouble with several device drivers in the driver manager. How do I fix this?

I have attached a screenshot of the device manager for your reference.

--Rick

Attached Files:

2. ricka

ricka Bit poster

Does anyone have any suggestions?

3. game_hunter

game_hunter Junior Member

??

Did you install the Parallels Tools?

4. wesley

wesley Pro

How about a screenshot of the VM configuration window as well?

5. ricka

ricka Bit poster

Yes, I installed the lastest Parallels toos. Here is a picture of the VM config.

--Rick

Attached Files:

6. shanel

shanel Bit poster

My sound is broken too

Interesting. My sound is also broken and has been since I don't remember when. I keep hoping it will be fixed in each release. Looking at the previous screen shot my reaction is:

1) He has a Sound Resource! (Mine doesn't)
    2) He doesn't have a Floppy resource, but I do.

I'm running on a 17" iMac (1.83 GHz). I'm about to create a new VM and re-install to see if I get the sound working.

7. ricka

ricka Bit poster

Yeah, I am thinking about doing the same thing. What sucks is that my VM is all cherried out like I want it and now I'd have to start over.

--Rick

8. shanel

shanel Bit poster

Fresh VM restored sound

So creating a fresh VM did the trick. Luckily I didn't have much installed since this is a test box.

I just wondered if you could create a new VM, but point the disk file to the existing disk file and keep booting from there. (Back it up first.)

9. shanel

shanel Bit poster

It Works!

OK, I created a new VM and installed windows on a new disk image. The installation was a waste of time.

I then decided to try re-pointing the Hard Disk 1 file to my old disk image. It booted up, and about a minute after starting new hardware was auto-detected. The sound hardware was one of the items, and now it works.

10. ricka

ricka Bit poster

So do you think deleting the VM config and creating a new VM that points to the old image will work? I'll give that a try tonight.

--Rick

11. shanel

shanel Bit poster

Create new VM first

Create the new VM without deleting the old VM (just in case). Then just re-point the Hard Disk 1 link to the old hard disk image.

Once it works, delete the original virtual machine file (but *not* the hard disk file :) )

12. ricka

ricka Bit poster

I fixed my sound!!!

I went into the directory where the virtual hard disk is and deleted the .pvs file. I then created a new VM and pointed it at the old .hdd file. Once I booted up, I uninstalled the sound card and let windows find it again.

Thanks for the help!

--Rick