Need advice on accessing Internet

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sam4022, Mar 8, 2007.

1. sam4022

sam4022 Junior Member

I am a recent Mac user and have found the machine a genuine pleasure to use thus far with the exception of Parallels. I may be missing something and please correct me if I missed something during the install but I cannot access the Internet using Explorer. I am getting 'page not found' message. I have a cable modem and according to the machine it is connected and working as a local network connection.

I attempted to contact Parallels Help via email 5 days ago without any response so I've sent another 2 days ago and am waiting for any response. However, I need to use Windows XP Pro SP2 for several applications and have been going back and forth between the Mac and PC.

Any and all advice appreciated....thanks,

Sam

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  2. strells

strells Product Expert

Shared or bridged networking? Do you get an IP address in Windows?

Steve

3. itsdapead

itsdapead Hunter

Look in the parallels VM configuration editor under "Network Adaptor" - you have three options: Shared Networking, Bridged Ethernet and Host-only.

If you've just got a straightforward cable modem that only supports a single computer, then you need to use "Shared Networking" mode in Parallels in order to let windows connect to the internet.

If you've got a home router/gateway/firewall box designed to share a connection between several PCs then you can use "bridged ethernet" mode instead.

4. sam4022

sam4022 Junior Member

I'm not sure. This is a single machine connected to a cable modem. The Mac connection works fine. All I did to install Parallels was to follow the Quick Start Guide.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  5. sam4022

sam4022 Junior Member

It's s straightforward cable modem supporting a single machine. How do I get to the parallels VM configuration editor?

6. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

when you start parallels, does it start the VM straight away or do you have to click the start button ?
    If you have to press the start button, then you should be able to click Edit > virtual machine in the Parallels menu and edit the settings there... else you will have to edit the pvs file in the VM directory and set the start_auto setting to 0 then run parallels.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  7. sam4022

sam4022 Junior Member

Thank You All

It's working fine. Shared network checked.

Thank you all very much.