need help installing windows software

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Gingercakes, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Gingercakes

Gingercakes Bit poster

I have installed parallels (trial version) sucessfully on my Mac 10.4.1, and I am able to get the virtual PC window running after installing a new, licensed copy of windows xp. While I have read the guides provided by parallels, I need some basic instruction on how to use software downloaded from the internet (I use safari) to work in this new virtual PC. Any help getting this going would be greatly appreciated, as my trial version will run out shortly.

Thank you in advance.

Gingercakes

2. sandro

sandro Parallels Developers

hi,
    you need to install guest Windows XP into VM. To do this insert your Windows XP installation media into drive and start VM. Further actions are similar to situation when you get new clean PC, insert into it installation CD and installing OS. In other words just follow Windows XP installation wizard instructions. When you'll installed guest OS you'll be able to work with it as with host Mac OS X: install there the safari for Windows, downloading software there and installing it directly.

3. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

Firefox is the best tool

MS IE 7 for windows donloads
    i you are new to Win XP get a book about it
    or read the comp sys group fopr that OS

returning to the Mac I did the same to relearn the MAc OS with the new features

Hugh W

4. Gingercakes

Gingercakes Bit poster

additional questions....

Thank you for the responses. I don't think I explained myself as well as I could have in my initial post. I have installed windows xp sucessfully into parallels. I get the start up window that shows the machine as "running", with the stop, start, and other buttons vertical down the right hand side of the virtual machine. It seems as though I have windows xp installed, but nothing else; no IE, no other software. So, what is my next step? How can I download windows software into a windows VM without IE? Do I use my native Mac software (such as safari) to navigate to the internet page that contains my download?

Gingercakes

5. David5000

David5000 Pro

When you click the Start button in the lower left, doesn't the Start menu open? IE, which is automatically installed with XP Pro, should either appear in the left part of the Start menu or you should be able to navigate to it via All Programs>.

I'm not a Windows expert but the first thing you should probably do is click on All Programs>Windows Update to download and install the latest security updates.

David

6. Gingercakes

Gingercakes Bit poster

Response

Hi Dave,

Right now, I just opened parallels by clicking on the icon in my doc to make sure we are talking about the same thing. This action takes me to a window, that has the windows icon in the upper left corner, with "Windows XP" and "Running" in green next to it. Below, it says:

Configuration
    Memory 512 MB
    Floppy Disk
    Hard Disk 1
    CD/DVD Rom 1
    Parallel 1
    Network Adapter 1; Shared Networking
    Sound
    USB Controller

To the right of this information, are vertically placed buttons:

Stop Virtual Machine
    Pause Virtual Machine
    Start Virtual Machine
    Full Screen Mode
    Coherence
    Create a Snapshot
    Revert to a Shapshot
    Run Snapshot Manager

This is the only screen I have interacted with to date. I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious... which is why I'm here. :eek:)

Gingercakes

7. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

Menu >> Parallels Desktop >> View >> Single Window

( I like it better than the other two and run it in a second screen)
    and the Windows desktop rotates back into sight

you were in Menu >> View >> VM Configuration
    (probably from an accident with the mouse or keyboard)

enjoy

Hugh W

8. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Post by Gingercakes was moved here.

Best Regards,
    Alicia

9. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Gingercakes,

The window you are describing is usually called the Configuration editor, you need to click on the green arrow at the right to actually start the VM. (see edit below)

Also any reason why you are still using 10.4.1? The current version is 10.4.10 and has come a long way since 10.4.1. Is software update on your Mac working? (in system preferences)

Good Luck

Mike

EDIT. Re-read the thread, and Hugh Watkins had it right. The "problem" is that you were in coherence mode. Single window mode is less confusing while finding your feet.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007