Nested Virtualization on ARM (Hyper-V)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac Feature Suggestions' started by AshleyS6, Nov 25, 2021.

1. AshleyS6

AshleyS6 Bit Poster

Hello!
    Long time Windows user thinking about switching to the new MacBook Pro 14, but I need Windows to manage some network tasks, unsuitable using Remote Desktop. Parallels Desktop seems to be working, is somebody using it successfully? What limitations should I expect? Will 16 GB RAM suffice? Performance? Compatibility? For instance, I need to to run Hyper-V Manager, which I hope is included in the Windows ARM deployment.
    Thankful to anyone helping here!

2. alev

alev Parallels Developers

Hi Ashley,
    Thank you for posting!
    Nested virtualization that is required for Hyper-V in Windows is not available in Parallels Desktop on Mac computers with Apple M1 chip. I've renamed your feature suggestion accordingly.
    Other than that 16GB is enough, performance is great and you can use 14 days trial to check on the compatibility.

3. KevinU4

KevinU4

Is there a timeline for when nested virtualization will be supported in Parallels on M1 chips? My main motivation is for testing WSL on my Windows VM, which (if I understand correctly) requires nested virtualization.