Networking mac drives to the VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by zyprexa, Apr 17, 2006.

1. zyprexa

zyprexa Junior Member

So, to access the main HD on my MacBookPro, I setup a "networked drive" in winxp on the VM. Unfortunately with windows files sharing turned on in mac os x, only the shared folders are accessible.

I have other computers in the house whose hard drives I occasionally wanted to hook up and access the entire contents of the drive, not just what was shared by Mac OS X with windows file sharing turned on.

With an easy edit in terminal, I can now access the entire HD in MacBook Pro and all drives that are connected to it (ext. firewire, usb, and/or networked hard drives).

the instructions I found over at macworld,

http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbt...363051&page=16&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I had previously used this solution to network my drives in full with my PC.

This is the most simplest way to share entire drive contents with a PC, not just the shared folders.

Go to the link above, and when you are editting the smb.conf file make this addition:

[Mac-external]
    path = /Volumes/
    valid users = xxxxx
    writable = yes

* the [Mac-external] can be any name, i use [MBPdrives]

Once you've made this addition to the smb.conf file on the mac, in windows you can now map this networked drive.

Right click my computer, add network drive then direct it to "//192.168.x.x/mbpdrives" where the x.x. is the ip address of your host mac computer.

The advantage of just using /Volumes/ vs. /Volumes/driveA is that all drives can be shared and will appear as folder under the networked drive "mbpdrives"