Networking with Parallels

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by belizegal, Mar 12, 2007.

1. belizegal

belizegal Bit poster

I have Parallels running, everything seems to be going just right except that I can't seem to get onto my exsisting network. Is this even possible via Parallels?
    I went through the steps but when I go to view my network workgroup computers only my vitrual computer is on it.
    I just tried to clicking on view workgroup computers and its saying my group name is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the admin of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    Where do I do that?

Any ideas?

Thanks
    belizegal

2. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Yes, it is possible.

What type of connection are you using ? If you want to see other computers into Windows network - you should use bridged connection (it can be set up in your VM configuration, in network sheet). Check it, please.

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Are you using Parallels shared networking? If in doubt, always use shared networking. Only use bridged, host only, etc. if you have a specific reason to.

If your Mac is on the existing networking, and you use shard, it will probably work.

4. belizegal

belizegal Bit poster

Type of connection? I don't know how to answer that one.
    Looking at my virtual computer it says shared. Here is what I have and what I'm needing.
    I have an internet cafe, I am using CafeZee to run my workstations via my computer, the server. They are all pc's. I just got my iMac and want to use this as the server. So, I was hoping via Parallels I could run cafezee through that on my imac and everything will be groovy.
    Another problem re: my network. On my iMac I can see my workgroup but they can't see me. Could this be causing a problem with the virtual comuter as well?
    I am so sorry, I am still learning about all of this.
    Thank you so much for your help! I tried to icq you but I can't log in.

belizegal

5. Ynot

Ynot Pro

You should use bridged networking. That's it.

If you use shared networking, you go to network through Mac and no any other computer can see yor VM, but in bridged mode your VM is the peer of your network and can ne seen by others. Change in network sheet connecton type.

6. belizegal

belizegal Bit poster

Ok,
    When you say change in network sheet connection type, where is that?
    Is that the VM config on vm screen?
    As of right now, none of my other pc's can see my mac or my vm but I can see them from my mac. my vm is just not there at all.

7. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Try to read user manual. Section "Networking in virtual machine" and "Virtual machine configuration" section about "Network adapter options". You can find all necessary information there.