New instalaltion, new iMac - best configuration?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Rongreg, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Rongreg

Rongreg Bit poster

New installation, new iMac - best configuration?

I am new to the mac, new to Parallels. I have an iMac dual core with 4 GB RAM, and I NEED to run some basic applications from my XP machine.
    So given all the problems reported (hard for me to assess their relevance to my situation), what would be the best "green fields" setup you wold recommend?
    I will NOT use Vista (Vista is the reason I am switching to a Mac!).
    I have plenty of RAM
    I did not yet install either Leopard (but I am determined to do so) or Parallels.
    I would like to use Transporter to have my entire XP setup available.
    - What build of Parallels should I use?
    - If not the latest, where do I get the previous ones?
    - should I install Parallels Before I upgrade to Leopard or after?
    - Any settings in particular that I should use /tools to avoid until Parallels is updated to better work with Leopard?
    Any help will be appreciate! I am literally sitting in-front of my iMac unable to proceed until I have answers to these questions... Searching for a couple of hours only got me more confused.
    Ron

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  2. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

I'd suggest you to stay on your current MacOS and wait a little for our next update fully compatible with Leopard. But if you critically want Leopard now then I suppose you should install leopard first and then Parallels Desktop. It's better to have the latest Parallels Desktop build - 5160 (Parallels version 3.0).

Best regards,
    Alicia.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  3. Rongreg

Rongreg Bit poster

Follow up

Thank you for your reply. When you say "wait a little for our next update", are we talking days - weeks - months (I am not asking for a commitment, just a conservative range)?

I do not want to wait with Leopard since currently I have no other applications and settings on the iMac, so it will be a clean installation of the OSX.

Allow me a follow up:
    - Do I first install from the disk I got, and then upgrade to 5160, or is the DMG package something I can use instead of the CD?
    - Someone here posted that a fresh installation with build 4128 was stable - can you remark?
    - How about Transporter - will it work with 5160 /Leopard? Any tips?
    - If I am willing to live with certain restrictions for a while until the next update comes out - any tools or practices to avoid?

Thank you, Ron.

4. Rongreg

Rongreg Bit poster

Please help newbie

Anyone else cares to comment?

5. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

we are working on update for Leopard and there's already a beta build 5540 and right after the period of beta-testing is finished and the build shows no bugs we'll release the update.
    It's better to have build 5160 anyway and if you will wait till official update.
    As for Transporter, it should work fine with 5160/Leopard.
    Some major information about Parallels and Leopard is here so you can check it too.

Best regards,
    Alicia