New Mac....unable to install

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PatriciaH, Jul 1, 2009.

1. PatriciaH

PatriciaH Bit poster

I waited to updrade to 4.0 until I got my new Mac. But, I can't seem to get through the install process. I've uninstalled, reinstalled, followed suggestions in the knowledge base, all with no luck.

I've done a sucessfull install, and activated with a single user license. At operating system detection, it does not give me the option to chose "real CD/DVD", eventho the disk is in (and available thru Finder). It's a Windows XP Home Edition disk. It's OEM, legit, and with a license key.

Can't do a manual install. It accepts my Windows key, but I cannot get any further than "specify the virtual machine and it's location" screen. It accepts input, but will not go forward.

Can anyone help me here?

2. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

3. desgael

desgael Pro

Did you try using custom installation mode?
    i.e. here is the detailed guide: http://download.parallels.com/desktop/v4/docs/en/Parallels_Desktop_Users_Guide/22437.htm
    If you are stuck on a step 11, can you clarify how exactly? The screenshots would be appreciated.
    If this is on step 12 you have trouble, i.e. option for "real CD" is not available, you can always try to create an image of the CD using Mac's disk utility and try with it. Check the following article on how to do that:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/4664

4. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

5. galochka

galochka Hunter

ZacharyR,

Seems to be that Parallels Desktop was not installed in correct location (please check System Preferences-> Network-> location should be automatic)

To fix the issue please try the follwing:
    1)
    cp /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist . (copy all command, there is "." - dot at the end)
    sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

and reboot.

2) If this doesn't help, next two commands will reset MacOS X networking configuration
    cp /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist .
    sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Anytime it will be possible to restore origianl network configuration by copying backupped in your home folder NetworkInterfaces.plist and preferences.plist to the original location.