New Parallels Desktop 3.0 Beta Program Begins

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Public Beta' started by spectre, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

New Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Build 5540 Beta Program Begins

Dear Beta-Testers,

We are glad to announce that Parallels begins new Open Beta-testing Program on the coming update for Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Build 5540.

"RENTON, Wash. October 29th, 2007 -- Parallels, Inc., has released a new beta version of its award-winning Parallels Desktop for Mac, the worlds leading desktop virtualization product, that is certified to work with Mac OS X Leopard, delivering better performance and enhanced usability when running both Windows Vista and XP on a Mac. The new build enables current Parallels Desktop users to upgrade to Leopard more easily, and makes it simple for new users to start using OS X and Windows simultaneously." - read the full Press Release for more details.

You can join the Beta program on our website - http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/beta/
    The current open beta version of the program is available here - http://www.parallels.com/en/download/desktop/beta/

Please keep the Beta-related discussions in this dedicated forum section. We appreciate your constructive feedback on our Beta software, please keep you discussions on-topic and your posts will surely reach us.

== What's New in Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Beta (Build 5540) ==

* '''Mac OS X Leopard support'''
    ** Mount virtual disks to Mac desktop
    * '''Virtualization Engine'''
    ** SMBios support
    ** Significant Windows Vista and Windows XP performance improvement
    * '''Network'''
    ** Port forwarding support for Shared Networking implemented
    * '''User interface'''
    ** Support for "~" in paths (to HDD, Shared Folders and such) implemented
    * '''Virtual devices'''
    ** Possibility to use two identical CD/DVD drives in VM implemented
    * '''Video and 3D'''
    ** DirectX and OpenGL performance improved
    * '''Parallels Transporter'''
    ** Migrate Windows from your Boot Camp partition to a Parallels virtual disk image

== Bugfixes and improvements in Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Beta (Build 5540) ==

* '''Primary OS support'''
    ** Wrong disk permissions after installing Parallels Desktop - fixed
    ** Applications icons are not shown in Dock on Leopard - fixed
    * '''Stability and resources usage'''
    ** Sound related segmentation faults: troubles when playing in PokerStars, browsing the Web - fixed
    ** Segmentation fault when deleting Snapshot in inactive state of Guest OS - fixed
    ** Windows Experience Index is not counted properly in Vista - fixed
    * '''Coherence'''
    ** Windows Taskbar behavior in various view modes - corrected
    ** Command key doesn't call Windows Start Menu if Windows Taskbar is hidden - fixed
    ** Visual Studio 2005 taskbar jumps over the screen when moving it - fixed
    ** Cursor jumping about in AutoCAD - fixed
    ** Visual Studio hangs when moving toolbox panel - fixed
    ** Visual Studio debugger hits breakpoint when running in Coherence - fixed
    ** Black rectangle instead of Start button in Vista - fixed
    * '''Parallels Tools'''
    ** Error 5009 appears during Parallels Tools installation - fixed
    ** MIDIoverLAN CP 3.2 doesn't work with Bridged networking - fixed
    ** Parallels Tools installation on SuSE 9.3 guest fails - fixed
    ** Wealth In Motion failed to register throught the network - fixed
    ** Wrong key codes conversion - fixed
    ** Japanese Input Method (MSIME) doesn't display convert candidates on a pop-up window correctly - fixed
    * '''Disks and folders sharing'''
    ** Some 3rd party applications can not be installed/uninstalled with Shared Profile enabled - fixed
    * '''Virtual devices'''
    ** CD/DVD drive detection for some Linux distributives is broken - fixed
    * '''Video and 3D'''
    ** Video memory size inside VM and in VM settinigs are not always similar - fixed
    ** CatiaV5R16: Error on startup - fixed
    ** 3DMark 2001 benchmark mode causes segmentation fault - fixed
    ** No textures in some games on nVidia graphic cards - fixed
    ** DirectX and OpenGL performance - improved
    ** Lots of application compatibility fixes
    * '''Parallels Image Tool'''
    ** Disk package permissions corruption during split operation - fixed

== Known issues in Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Beta (Build 5540) ==

* '''Stability and resources usage'''
    ** Windows disks may be not correctly mounted to Leopard
    ** Problems may occur when suspending a virtual machine with running OpenGL application
    ** Accidental BSODs on Vista may occur
    ** Mounted USB device may seriously increase CPU usage
    ** In rare cases, Windows Vista may be frozen while going to sleep
    ** Windows NT4 hangs while trying to change screen resolution
    * '''Suspend/Resume'''
    ** Slow resume still may be noticed
    * '''Coherence'''
    ** Small artefacts in Expose' may appear
    ** Leopard Spaces are not fully supported
    * '''Parallels Tools'''
    ** Parallels Tools Center sometimes may use 100% CPU after drag-and-drop operation
    ** Sometimes clipboard synchronization doesn't work
    * '''Shared Applications and SmartSelect'''
    ** Sharing Mac Applications may not be turned off
    * '''Video and 3D'''
    ** Windows Media Player doesn`t work in IE on Vista
    * '''Parallels Transporter'''
    ** Vista Boot Camp migration via network may fail (if Vista launched in Parallels Desktop)
    * '''Parallels Explorer&Mounter'''
    ** Mounter doesn't work on Leopard
    ** Incorrect disk size may be displayed
    ** Transmission between different columns with keyboard is not available yet

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2007
  2. Gfive

Gfive

Can I please get a serial for Build 5540....
    I got the download but to serial.....

Kind regards
    Gfive

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello Gfive,

To get a trial key you should click "My Account" in the right upper corner of http://www.parallels.com/ page. On the left gray margin click "Get trial key" and choose "Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac" key.
    If you are a registered user of Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac, your activation key will also go for the beta version.

Best regards,
    Xenos

4. Parallels team..

Great work on getting this beta out so quickly. So far it's working great for my Windows tools that I still have need for.

5. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Bit Poster

Today I had to zap my PRAM (NVRAM). After the upgrade to Leopard and some issues, it was adviced at some point to do this. After this, I went through all my preferences to 'reload' the stuff so all software would work as expected. The only one not working was Parallels Desktop for Mac. When I clicked the 'Start' button of the VM (a WinXP Pro install), I got a kernel panic. I did this twice and had it twice. I sent in the crash report OS X has generated after the restart. So I thought it to be best to reinstall 5540 and, phew!, now it runs. Hmmm. What does Parallels do in my [P|NV]RAM?

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Marc Vos,

To analyze the issue we need panic logs. They can be found in these folders: /Library/Logs/panic.log or ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Parallels.crash.log from the Mac side.
    Please send me the logs as Private Message or attached to your post.

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Bit Poster

Hi Xenos,

I sent the two panic logs to you per Private Message. They were in /Library/Logs/PanicReporter/ (Leopard). No crash logs, though. Hope you find something.

Thanks!

8. AlanH

AlanH Kilo Poster

My Windows XP VM has changed its behaviour over the last 24 hours. I typically suspend it with no Windows apps running, which quits Parallels Desktop. If I launch Parallels later, and select and resume the VM, it produces a blue Windows error screen and reboots XP. This was not the case when I first got it working in Leopard. I've tried reinstalling Parallels TOols and it made no difference.

When XP reboots, to comes up with a "Windows rebooted after a serious system error" message. I tried "Report to Microsoft" and the response was that it was related to my Audio Drivers:

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  9. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Marc Vos, thank you for the logs. Our developers have said they are aware of this issue and they are working hard to fix it.

AlanH, I've delivered your report to QA team. Thank you for the information on this beta bug.

Best regards,
    Xenos

10. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Bit Poster

Xenos, glad to be of help. I use Parallels every day, so for me it is vital that it runs. When the system panics, I panic !

11. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Marc Vos, thank you for being with us. We'll try to do our best not to make you panic any more.

AlanH, is it possible to get the text you have at Windows error screen?
    Could you also make sure there are no sav or mem files in your VM folder (the default path is: Documents-Parallels-Virtual Machine)?

Best regards,
    Xenos

12. AlanH

AlanH Kilo Poster

There's always a .sav and a .mem file in the VM folder when the VM is suspended. Isn't that where the suspended state is held? Or should I delete them?

They are not there if I shut down XP before quitting.

I'll try to capture a SnapzProX video of the sequence.

[UPDATE] You can see a Quicktime movie of my sequence here. This includes the Finder window that displays the contents of the VM folder before and after the VM is launched and shout down, and the blue screen error from Windows.

Please let me know if I can provide more info.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  13. billw

billw

Just upgraded to the Beta. Parallels was running in 5160, but I cannot mount the C, E, or F drive. I have set "Connect Servers" in Finder>Preferences. Build 5540 operates the same. I have not had crashes or other issues with either build in Leopard, but not being able to share files is making it not so useful as a VM.

Great job on getting a beta out quickly! I am hoping that it addresses the drive mounting issue soon.

BillW

14. billw

billw

OK, quick update. I changed the VM configuration via Configuration Editor and checked the "All Windows Disks" checkbox and it is working! So, I have 5540 running on Leopard and things seem a bit better, so far.

Thank you Parallels Development team!

BillW

15. Saiing

Saiing

Three quick questions:

1. If I install the beta, will it be easy to replace it with the 'supported' version when it's released? i.e. just a reinstall of Parallels, but the VMs will remain?

2. Any news on how the work is progessing on the final supported release? Target dates? Even a rough idea would be helpful. It's handy to know whether it's going to be a week, before the end of this year, Q1 next year etc... If it's going to be a long time, I'll have a go with the beta. If it's coming soon, I'd rather hang on a bit longer.

3. Are there likely to be any further beta releases before the final (e.g. Beta 2 or RC etc...)?

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  16. dfei

dfei

Cannot Start a VM using build 5540

When I try to start any VM or boot camp, the VM will hang and usage for the Parallels process is over 90% CPU.

Running a Mac Pro 2x2.66 with 3 Gigs of RAM.

I can provide crash report if you want it.

David Feinstein
    QD&C Systems

17. dfei

dfei

Cannot Start a VM using build 5540

I forgot to add that I am running Mac OS X 10.5.0

David Feinstein
    QD&C Systems

18. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

AlanH, thank you for the movie! Please remove sound in Configuration Editor. Will this help?

billw, congrats!

Saiing, you are not expected to have any problems when replacing the beta with a new build. Unfortunately, I can't let you know the exact time of beta-2 or final build release. Generally we do not advise switching to beta to use it for work purposes.

dfei, please look at this thread. You should make a search in KB to see if there is an issue similar to yours being discussed or has been solved. Thanks for your report, anyway.

Best regards,
    Xenos

19. AlanH

AlanH Kilo Poster

I launched Parallels, selected the XP Pro VM, and opened the Configuration settings. I highlighted Sound and clicked the Remove button, so Sound disappeared from the list of configuration items.

I started the VM, which had been shut down previously, then suspended it. When I relaunched and resumed it, it crashed in the same way as I showed in my movie. this time the Microsoft Error Reporting system gave a non-specific device driver report

I suspended and resumed once more, and received the same error report again.

20. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

AlanH, did you try to boot in Safe mode?
    For this press F8 (Fn+F8) repeatedly just when booting starts.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.