New Parallels Desktop 3.0 Beta Program Begins

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 3.0 for Mac Public Beta' started by spectre, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olivier

Olivier Kilo Poster

Running 5540 on 10.5.1 on 5 different computers (5 Parallels Desktop licenses), it generally runs well, except:

- The "Unable to allocate memory for monitor PE!" error, sometimes, when starting a virtual machine. This can soon turn to a kernel panic if no shutdown / restart of the Mac is done soon enough.

- The whole sharing of Windows drives to Mac OS is completely bugged in this build (over Leopard at least, no idea over Tiger we don't have any more).

Yours,

2. jarrwlee

jarrwlee

5540 required for Leopard?

Is 5540 required for Leopard support? I'm on a first generation MacBook Pro, 2.16GHz Core Duo (NOT Core 2) with 2GB of RAM. I updated to 10.5.1 as soon as I installed my system, before I even looked to install Parallels, due to some of the issues that this .1 update fixes.

Anyway, the issue I'm having is in trying to install Windows XP Professional w/ Service Pack 2. It goes through loading all the drivers, according to the gray bar at the bottom of the screen during the install. It even displays the "Starting Windows" message in that same bar, but shortly after that displays it goes right to a blue screen with 2 lines of text that Parallels gives me no time to read before it flips back over to VM config screen.

Any suggestions? Anybody else having this issue? Is there another build that I could download somehow to try?

If it comes down to it, I can use boot camp, but I'd rather not partition my drive.

3. Olivier

Olivier Kilo Poster

I have just made a positive experience. Over my Leopard 10.5.1 and Parallels Desktop 5540, I have installed MacFUSE Core 10.5 - 1.1.1 and rebooted the computer.

Since then, it looks like all my previous failures regarding sharing of Windows drives to Mac OS are fixed! I can now drag and drop a file from Mac to the windows drive and don't get anymore a copy error but an actual successful copy. I can now double click a .XLS file on the Mac side and get Windows Excel to open it. It previously did, but not always and looks much more consistent in succeeding than before this MacFUSE update.

Parallels team, why wouldn't you release a second post-5540 beta that would include MacFuse 1.1.1? It would surely help greatly users, while you continue you work on other areas.

4. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello,

jarrwlee, please try installing Windows from Disk Image File. 5540 is a beta version so we can't guarantee its' stability and we do not advise installing it for work tasks.

Olivier, thank you for a positive remark. Testing process duration does not depend on the number of changes made in the build. So including MacFuse 1.1.1 only would not let us to release it sooner. We apologize for making you waiting.

Best regards,
    Xenos

5. jarrwlee

jarrwlee

It is actually installing from an ISO image on an external drive that was downloaded from an MSDN Academic Alliance site. The ISO had worked previously, under Tiger. I'll try moving the ISO to the internal hard drive and then try burning it to a disc if that doesn't work. If the issue persists beyond that, I'll need more suggestions, but I'll let you know if that's the case and whether or not this works.

6. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Thanks for the answer, jarrwlee.
    Waiting for the feedback.

Best regards,
    Xenos

7. Olivier

Olivier Kilo Poster

I wrote too quickly. It looks like it actually works much better as I described, using a Windows XP virtual machine. But my co-workers (4 recent Parallels licenses) do require to run a Windows 2000 virtual machine all-day long (this is our price to pay to be able to abandon common PC hardware). And using a Windows 2000 virtual machine, things are much worse. Absolutely nothing works in that area when using Windows 2000. See:

- The mounted "C" drive on the Mac Desktop displays a red minus sign (like when there are no access rights to a folder) and indeed, there is NO access to it. Using "Show Information", Mac OS says they have "custom rights" on that folder, without detailing them in any way. So access to the Windows disk from the Mac is totally broken, as long as a Windows 2000 is used in the virtual machine.

- From the Windows 2000 side, when accessing a Parallels shared folder, it looks like all works ok. But writes simply seem to evaporate in another time-space continuum (copy a file there: no error but no file on the destination - very surprising behaviour).

Are these known and intended huge limitations of using a Windows 2000 virtual machine (I couldn't find any comment in that direction in the product documentation and release notes - though I might be wrong), or are these known bugs being worked on?

8. Olivier

Olivier Kilo Poster

We were of course talking about the BETA Xenos.

You have to make the final-version users to wait. Normal, agreed, no problem. Though I think you don't need to delay your beta updates to your beta-testers (who can help you confirm progress incrementally), unless of course, if you would have absolutely *nothing* new or even slightly better to deliver after 3 weeks: but then I'd question much more than the delay of beta updates. ;-)

9. Marc Vos

Marc Vos Bit Poster

Here it is:
    ------------
    ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x71c5
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-xxxxxx-158
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.158
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 1440 x 900
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Built-In: Yes
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Philips 230W:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Rotation: Supported

10. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Marc Vos, thanks a lot!

Oliver, there are no huge limitations for Windows 2000. Could you ask your co-workers to repair disk permissions? Installing MacFUSE 1.1.1 can also help. As to copied files, you'll find them in C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User name>\Desktop. Yes, there is a number of bugs. We are working on them.

About beta updates: they are also tested before being released. Next one is coming this week, I hope. Lots of issues detected these last days will be fixed there.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  11. Olivier

Olivier Kilo Poster

Okay, will test within the next 30 minutes.
    This was done first, for sure.
    I'll verify and keep you informed.
    This is excellent news to know about a new build to test, maybe this week.
    Thank you,

12. Olivier

Olivier Kilo Poster

Well, that changed nothing regarding that specific problem.

13. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Olivier, thank you for the reports.
    Your co-workers have apparently encountered the bug that is fixed in beta 5540.

Best regards,
    Xenos

14. K-Dee

K-Dee Bit Poster

I've had the "Unable to allocate memory to PE" error as well. It seems more frequent lately and sometimes happens immediately after a restart.

15. K-Dee

K-Dee Bit Poster

I think I fixed the above error. I used the reinstall method described by Alica in this thread:

http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=17831&page=2

Interestingly, I didn't have to zap any of the files in the shell that she mentioned as the uninstaller seems to have done that for me.

In any case I then rebooted and reinstalled and everything seems to be cool. One thing I did notice is that the available memory in the "Adjust Memory Limit" preference pane jumped from 1670MB to 3472MB (I do software QA and technical support, so I make a note of these things so that I can write accurate reports on what my experience was) so I think that's the root cause of the issue.

Hope that helps.

16. Olivier

Olivier Kilo Poster

Nope. That is beta 5540 which I and they run. I'm only talking and reporting about the current beta.

17. bigmouth

bigmouth

I can't seem to get it to connect to "shared networking" when in 5570 - admittedly it still works under bridged - any comments Parallels ?

18. Olivier

Olivier Kilo Poster

Build 5570 shows really good progress

We have not yet seen this error message again since we removed 5540 and installed 5570. So it looks like it is fixed, though only time will tell. By carefully starting the virtual machine as one of the first resource intensive process after the user's logon, we had managed to not be hurt by this error too often over the last week.

This works *much* *much* better now. On our 4 iMac using a Win2K VM, their Windows C drive is now fully accessible from the Mac desktop. Starting Mac applications from Windows side works nicely too (for instance associating PDF files on the Windows side to a Mac Viewer works perfectly (the document opens on the Mac side).

The reverse seems still partially bugged though. Associating a XLS file on Mac side with Microsoft Excel on the Windows side do start Excel on the windows side, but somehow the XLS file does not open (without error displayed), just the Excel executable starts and displays an empty (no opened) file UI. I will have my co-workers do more tests because this is using an old Microsoft Office 2000 in the virtual machine. I have no such issue on my own MacBook Pro, but I'm running a XP VM and using Office 2007, so their issue might be related to the old Excel version or to Windows 2000 itself. If I can workaround this (which is not a big issue) I'll post here.

19. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

New beta build 5570 is available. This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.