Newbie question: Bootcamp after Parallels??

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by anoolio, Oct 12, 2007.

1. anoolio

anoolio Bit poster

This may be a silly question, but pls help: is there a way to install/load up Boot Camp, and have it recognize the partitions already created by my existing Parallels 3.0? I am just trying to find a quick way of not having to re-install all my applications and Vista all over again in Boot Camp mode... any advice?

Am running MBP 2.4GHz, with 2GB Ram and Vista Home Premium on Parallels at the moment and due to very high temperatures and excessive CPU load (even when idle or web -surfing in guest OS), as well as crashes everytime I upgrade Vista, I need to look at having a more stable option via Boot Camp...

2. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

There have been a couple of recent threads on this (I started one), and the answer is no, cant be done. You have to start all over. Install Windows in Boot Camp, then have Parallels recognise the Boot Camp Windows.

However, note that Boot Camp is beta in Tiger and the install assistant expires with the release of Leopard (rumoured Oct 26th) I decided there is no point in going down this road until after Leopard.

You might want to explore why you are getting your problems with the current set up, perhaps in the Apple Discussion forum. I am surprised, and would not expect your problems to happen. I have run Vista in my MacBook Pro 1.83 with 2 Gb RAM. It was slow but stable and without overheating.

Incidentally, it is illegal to run Vista Home premium in Parallels. The Windows EULA excludes it. Only Business and Ultimate are licenced for use in Virtual machines.

Good Luck

Mike

3. midas

midas Bit poster

Bootcamp Vista Business

Not to highjack this thread but here goes ;)

I have Vista Business in bootcamp. I have Parallels 3 (5160). I try to access Vists partition and ALWAYS get 'No boot device available'. I searched, read, etc. to no avail. How do I get my Vista Business bootcamp partition to work under Parallels 3?

4. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Never having used Bootcamp with Parallels, I can't answer this, but there are a lot of threads about using Parallels with an existing Bootcamp install, which is the normal (and possible) way round. Since this thread is specifically about doing it the "wrong" way round, I think you will get more help by starting a new thread, or searching existing.

Good Luck

Mike