Nmap stops working after upgrade to 3.0

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bkwhite, Jun 18, 2007.

1. cybercrypt13

cybercrypt13

What specifically are you doing? I tried the following command for nmap but still have the problem. The original removing of the fw0 worked but I seem to have to do it everytime I reboot so trying to figure another way around it.

./nmap -e en3-sS -O 192.168.1.1/24

I get error of:
    getinterfaces: Failed to obtain MAC address for ethernet interface (fw0)
    QUITTING!

Thanks,

glenn

2. jasonw

jasonw

Doing both "ifconfig fw0 remove" and specifying the interface hasn't failed here yet.

3. cybercrypt13

cybercrypt13

could you provide me with an example command you're running? Because the command I listed above doesn't seem to have any effect on it at all.

Thanks,

glenn

4. jasonw

jasonw

I ran "sudo ifconfig fw0 remove" a few days ago to workaround "Failed to obtain MAC address" when it was first suggested here. I was at home at the time and was able to nmap local hosts but it failed with "failed to determine route". When I added "-e en1" to the nmap command line it worked fine.

I'm at work at the moment and I seem to be able to nmap anything without specifying an interface. I use Airport on both home and work networks. Not sure why it didn't work at home without specifying an interface. I haven't restarted my Mac at all since removing the IP from fw0.

5. cybercrypt13

cybercrypt13

For some reason this has stopped being an option. When I execute ifconfig fw0 remove it acts like it does it but another ifconfig command shows the thing still there. And trying to run nmap with or without the -e option is still resulting in it not working.

This is strange because before I rebooted my system the other day things were working after executing this command. Not sure now why things are broke and won't start again.

Any more ideas? Since obviously I chose the wrong product to use. Parallels must not have a support department. 1 week and no response would seem long enough for any problem.

Thanks for any of your help,

6. cybercrypt13

cybercrypt13

Anyone heard anything on this issue? For some reason I can't get things to work anymore. The ifconfig remove command isn't working for me. It returns as though it worked but issuing another ifconfig shows it still in the list and getting errors about it not working for the fw0 port even if I tell nmap to use a specific port.

Thanks,