no inbound data to guest host

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by twoShoes, May 23, 2006.

1. twoShoes

twoShoes Bit poster

Hi All,

I'm experiencing a strange problem and I;m sure that I'm overlooking something simple. My host OS is XP and my guest OS is Fedore Core 5. From the guest os (linus) I can access the internet (load web pages) and other hosts on the network but I can not access the guest OS (telnet, ssh , smb etc) in any way.

I've disabled, windows firewall and my anti virus sw on the host and have also disabled SELinux and iptables on the guest os but no joy.

Also, I'm using a wireless card (which I have selected) and the onboard ethernet card is unused.

If I monitor the network connection from within the gues os I can see that it sees packets but nothing ever seems to make it's way to the box. for ex. if I enter "telnet guestOShost 80" from the host os I see nothing ever reach the network interface of the guest os.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Walt

2. twoShoes

twoShoes Bit poster

10 minutes later - problem solved

I can't stand it. After 3 days of banging my head against my screen I finally posted my problem here and then stumbled across the solution 10 minutes later.

It was embeded in this thread:
    http://forum.parallels.com/thread720.html

Here was the solution:
    a. Open the Control Panel and double-click “Network Connectionâ€. Find your wireless network connection, right click its icon and choose “Propertiesâ€. A window like the one in the Fig. 1 will appear. Open the “Advanced†tab.

b. Enable the Internet Connection Sharing feature by marking the checkbox “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connectionâ€

c. You also have to choose the network connection which will have access to the shared network. To do this, select the “Parallels Host-Guest Virtual NIC†in “Home networking connection†list box.

That's it!

I hope that this helps someone else avoid a little frustration.

-Walt