No network adapter in Windows10 after PD update

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview' started by KevinB25, Feb 16, 2021.

1. KevinB25

KevinB25 Bit Poster

The Parallels Technical Preview did an update this morning to v16.3.2. Following the update, the network adapter(s) on my Windows 10 ARM Insider Preview are now missing. Windows Device Manager shows the Parallels VirtIO Ethernet Adapter status as "Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device. (Code 56)". I've tried rebooting everything (M1 MacBook Pro and Win10 VM), changing network adapter from Shared to Bridged (all options) and nothing seems to fix the problem. Any other troubleshooting ideas are welcome!

2. EricW28

EricW28 Bit Poster

Seeing similar after update

3. EricW28

EricW28 Bit Poster

Name: Ethernet
    Description: Parallels VirtIO Ethernet Adapter
    Physical address (MAC): 00:1c:42:6a:XX:XX
    Maximum transmission unit: 0
    Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Disconnected

4. EricW28

EricW28 Bit Poster

So I fixed this issue.
    steps
    1. delete 16.3.2-50531
    2. reinstalled 16.3.1-50393

5. GerardK5

GerardK5 Bit Poster

I'm seeing exactly the same in Ubuntu Desktop.

Attached Files:

6. Alexander M.

Alexander M. Bit Poster

The same here. No network on W10 ARM after 16.3.2 update. Would wait for fix

7. RonaldM7

RonaldM7 Bit Poster

For those of us who are not Windows experts, how do I find the adapters and how do I delete and reinstall them? I'm having the same issue since Parallels updated

8. Alexander M.

Alexander M. Bit Poster

The message above was not about the adapters. The message was about PD version. On the last 16.3.2 there is some sort of software bug that somehow disable the W10 network. If you downgrade to previous 16.3.1 the network would work again or we have to wait for some fix from Parallels in 16.3.3 or something.

9. kundanno

kundanno Bit Poster

I think the poster is referring to removing and reinstalling parallels in MacOS. I would shutdown the windows VM, remove PVM from Applications, and then reinstall the new version.

10. JasonF17

JasonF17 Bit Poster

I have the same issue. Not network. Also many apps do not work now. Is there a way to fix this ? Also issue from before update.... I am trying to install a TAP adapter

11. EricW28

EricW28 Bit Poster

Yeah I have deleted the install of 16.3.2 and reinstalled 16.3.1 in MacOs

FYI.

I tried a clean install of Window 10 ARM yesterday and saw the same issue. No network adapters listed in Windows.

Would love to know if there is a work around?

12. RonaldM7

RonaldM7 Bit Poster

Thanks for the clarification. I think I'll just wait for Parallels to fix the issue rather than downgrading...

13. JasonF17

JasonF17 Bit Poster

How do I downgrade ?

14. KevinB25

KevinB25 Bit Poster

I was able to get around the issue by creating a new W10 ARM VM. Unfortunately I was never able to get networking to work in the old VM after updating to 16.3.2. v16.3.2 seems to be buggy as sometimes my keyboard stops working in the W10 vm and I have to restart it. Good thing this is all pre-release code!

15. JasonF17

JasonF17 Bit Poster

Ya I tried adding another VM but it didn't work. I just deleted both VM's and started from scratch, the networking is back ( I am assuming it is because it is the older build with no update). Re-installed the other program I was waiting for TAP adapter.... still no way to add a TAP adapter from what I can see.

16. AnthonyK5

AnthonyK5 Bit Poster

@JasonF17, I had the same two issues that you have: 1. No network adapters in windows and 2. The failure of TAP Adapters to install in Windows 10 on Mac Apple Silicon M1. I solved both of these issues.

On the missing network adapter after the upgrade to v16.3.2-50531, this seems to be a bug specific to version 16.3.2-50531. Having tried all solutions - including downloading and installing the Parallels ToolBox both for Mac and Windows, and failing to get the network adapters to work in windows, I resorted to downgrade Parallels Desktop to version 16.3.1-50393.

You would have thought that it would be easy - it is if you have the dmg of previous version. My Mac M1 having limited space (only 250gb), I have developed a habit of deleting large files especially if the same files can easily be downloaded online or if they become irrelevant after a newer (presumably better) version replaces them. This page https://kb.parallels.com/en/5802 on older versions lists a very limited number of versions and v16.3.1-50393 is frustratingly missing there. However, copying a link from a previous version listed there and manually changing the versions on the link before pressing enter works just fine.

To downgrade, according to this article https://kb.parallels.com/en/8913 , all that is needed is to close the VM, backup it up if need be, and re-install the older version over the newer version. No need to uninstall the newer version. It will ask to quit Parallels Desktop. Quit it. It will also say that a new version is available and that it is recommended to upgrade. Do not. After that, like magic, you have a working version with network adapters backup again in Windows VM.

Here is the link to the dmg of v16.3.1-50393 for those who would like to downgrade:
    https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v16/16.3.1-50393/ParallelsDesktop-16.3.1-50393.dmg

The next post will show how to install a TAP Adapter like OpenVP TAP Adapter for Mac Apple Silicon M1.

RonaldM7 likes this.
  17. RonaldM7

RonaldM7 Bit Poster

Thanks! This worked for me too. What do you think will happen when they come out with the next Parallels update which (we assume) will fix the network adapter issue? Will we have to update to v16.3.2 first and then update to (presumably) v16.3.3?

18. AnthonyK5

AnthonyK5 Bit Poster

I solved this for the latest version of Parallels Desktop - v16.3.2-50531 - and got it to work on windows 10 VM and display the network adapter and connect to the internet! It took 10hrs! of fiddling around but finally it worked :). I know the Windows file system inside out. With a risk of revealing my age, I have been using Windows thoroughly since Windows 95 and its infamous blue screen of death. Back then Windows 98 was my favourite OS till XP came and knocked it to oblivion:). On the contrary, I am new to Mac - this being my first Mac and also my first year working on a Mac. So in Mac I have only one month! experience :(
    Naturally, I gravitate to working on Windows more and more than on the MAC side and I have many of my favourite tools on the Windows side of the OS. And just a question, how do you guys get around the confusion of Command and Control! And how do you deal with no PageUp, PageDown and no separate buttons for Backspace and Delete functions? One month in and I still mix the keys like crazy.

Enough rambling :)

Parallels Version 16.3.2-50531 comes with the ability to suspend and resume the Windows OS which is sadly missing in v16.3.1-50393. This ability to suspend and resume windows is a super huge improvement. I can't, in good conscience, just downgrade and leave this superb feature aside. Plus I like newer versions of software. As you point out, there is no guarantee that the next release will solve this. We may be stuck on version 16.3.1 ad infinitum.

So I had to try and fix it on the newer version. After I downgraded and it worked, I simply upgraded again by running the newer dmg and it failed connecting the network adapter. Okay, Expected. I downgraded again by simply running the old dmg and strangely (and sadly), it failed connecting the network adapter in Windows too. I was back to square one - stuck and boxed.

After trying everything short of deleting the Windows VM - I can't just delete my Windows VM for I have spent hours installing large apps and tools there so I can't simply get rid of them and start all over again - I got it to work.

I figured out that copying this specific dll, drvstore.dll, the one with a 2MB file size to the Windows System32 folder and then reinstalling the Parallels Tools in the Windows side by clicking on the top menu of Actions then "Reinstall Parallels Tools" when windows is opened solves the problem.

So here are the specifics, logic behind the method I used and how I got the Parallels Windows Adapter working on the newer version of Parallels Desktop on Mac M1.

First, after upgrading to the newer version, open windows, login, then hover the mouse at the top bar to show the menu. Click on Actions then Reinstall Parallels Tools. If it installs till 100% and restarts, you just may have solved your issue. In my case, it failed to install at around 57%. Rebooting and trying multiple times did not work. Downloading the Windows version of the installer and installing it did not solve the missing adapter issue for me.

Having ascertained that I cannot install Parallels Tools using the Actions menu, I did the following steps:

1. Open the Windows folder, then the INF folder. I.e. C:\Windows\INF

2. Search for oem.inf. Several files will turn up. Open notepad and reposition it such that you can drag
    a single oemx.inf file into it. Start with oem0.inf. Read its contents. What we are searching for is one with the header as below:
    ===
    ;Copyright (c) 2008-2019 Red Hat Inc.
    ;Copyright 2013-2020 Parallels International GmbH
    ;
    ;Module Name:
    ; netkvm.inf
    ;
    ; VirtIO Ethernet Adapter
    ====
    In my case the file was oem1.inf

3. Right click on the file that you found above and press install. It should install silently without any errors. In my case, it raised an error. It was this error that was key to solving the issue. In my case the error raised was:
    "The code execution cannot proceed because drvstore.dll was not found..."

4. If this is the same error you are getting, then proceed below. If not either post here the error that you are getting or google the error to see common solutions.

5. Move to the Windows folder and Search for drvstore.dll in your windows folder.

6. Several results will show up. Most will have a file size below 1mb. I copied the one with 2mbs and pasted it in C:\Windows\System32. Its location was: C:\Windows\WinSxS\arm64_ ...

7. Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 above. It should work without any errors.

8. Now click on Actions then Reinstall Parallels Tools. It should complete the installation.

9. Restart and Viola! The network adapter will work on Windows 10 with the newest version of Parallels Desktop.

If you encounter any errors or get stuck, write here and we might help.

19. rt597

rt597 Bit Poster

20. RonaldM7

RonaldM7 Bit Poster

Thanks Anthony, I was able to reinstall Parallels Tools from the Action menu, restarted Windows 10 and viola! I have internet access again!