No NIC in Vista?

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by DJMax, Oct 8, 2006.

1. DJMax

DJMax Bit poster

I thought I'd give Vista a shot, so I installed (same problem with both RC1 and RC2) as a guest with my XP MCE computer as host. I just can't seem to get Vista to access the Internet. It tells me there's no NIC installed. I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work, but nothing helps. I have the same problem with some distros of Linux (usually MEPIS), so it's probably just my inability to figure out what to do and not a Vista thing. Other people seem to get it working. Is there anything I'm obviously doing wrong?

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Make sure that your Parallels configuration has a Network Adaptor available, and that it's enabled, with "Connect cable at startup" checked. You should use Bridged Ethernet.

3. DJMax

DJMax Bit poster

Yup. I have all that set properly. That's why I'm so confused why I'm having problems. I've even manually bridged Parallels with my NIC card in my network setup in XP, but that didn't help. There has to be something I'm missing, but I've been through the network setup in Parallels many times. I'm no networking expert, but know enough to fake it. If I had enough memory in my laptop, I'd try it on there, but that just gives me even more problems.

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

In preferences, make sure addresses are setup in the networking tab. Make sure these addresses appear the same in your guest OS.