No sound in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jhorwitz, Mar 18, 2007.

1. jhorwitz

jhorwitz Bit poster

I installed Windows XP Home, service Pack 2, and all other current updates. Everything is working fine, except now I have no sound.

Sound is operating normally on the host OSX system. When I try to open the Volume Control on XP, I get a message saying either "there are no active mixer devices available" or "there are no active sound devices available". When I go to device manager, it shows all my audio devices installed and working properly. When I go to Control Panel and click on Sounds and Audio Devices, then click the Volume, Audio, or Voice tabs, they're all grayed out.

When I go to the Configuration Editor in Parallels Desktop, the Device is Enabled, as is Activate at Startup. Emulation shows Default Audio for both Input and Output.

When I open Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel, choose the Hardware tab, then highlight Intel[r] 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller, then click the Properties button, then the Properties tab, then expand audio devices and choose Intel[r] 82801AA/AB/BA/CA AC'97 Audio Controller, the hit the Properties button, the General tab appears, with the message: "Status: Driver is enabled, but has not been started". My understanding is that this may have something to do with the fact that my Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator is also not installed in the guest XP OS, but I don't know what to do about it.

When I was using Build 3150, I had no problems. All the problems are with Build 3188. Lastly, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Parallel Tools, and then an earlier Restore Point. None of this worked. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Parallel Tools after disabling my ZoneAlarm internet security suite- no luck. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.