No sound, neither in Windows Insider Preview nor in Ubuntu Hirsute Hippo

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop 16 for M1 Mac Technical Preview' started by IsaacD1, Dec 31, 2020.

1. IsaacD1

IsaacD1 Bit Poster

Hi,
    I have no sound coming out from my laptop speakers, no sound coming out connecting headphones, no sound at all in both OS. That's why I think this is an issue from Parallels. In both OS the sound is recognizable, they both send signal of emitting sound (see screenshots). I've tried to follow instructions as other forums stated. Windows -> settings -> devices -> sound output -> select speaker / Ubuntu->settings->sound->output device, and non of these methods worked (notice in the screenshot that in Ubuntu I have no other option than Dummy Output and in Windows the troubleshoot option is not working). I also double checked if my Parallels' configuration was changed automatically but no, I fixed my configuration statically, and still the same result. Have no other options :/

Attached Files:

2. Lutz-R.F

Lutz-R.F Bit Poster

had the same on Win 10 ARM
    Started the troubleshooter, skipped first proposal an got sound back

ChrisW38 and IsaacD1 like this.
  3. PeterS68

PeterS68 Bit Poster

I actually had this issue and found that there were two sound devices in windows. Oddly enough when I Disabled sound in the parallels confit for the VM sound started working.

IsaacD1 likes this.
  4. DonaldW6

DonaldW6 Bit Poster

I had the same "no sound in Windows" issue. In Parallels configuration in Control Center for the Windows 10 (ARM) VM, I changed both Sound Output and Microphone to Default and rebooted the VM. That worked for me.

IsaacD1 likes this.
  5. IsaacD1

IsaacD1 Bit Poster

Ok. Thank you very much. This worked for me.

DonaldW6 likes this.
  6. JamesS49

JamesS49

No sound devices are discoverable and therefore not usable in Ubuntu 20.04 or 21.04 on Parallels 16 for ARM64 Mac M1 chip. Works fine on the host Mac M1 Mini. Is this a Parallels issue or a Ubuntu issue?

7. BobW11

BobW11 Bit Poster

Works perfectly fine on my MacPro M1 13. I'm running both Ubuntu 20.10 and Windows 10 Pro Arm. Both have sound. I did try LTS Ubuntu 20.04 as well, no problem there.

8. ChrisW38

ChrisW38 Bit Poster

Strange, that worked for me :)

BobW11 likes this.