No USB in 3186

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cetuma, Feb 28, 2007.

1. cetuma

cetuma Member

I'm not sure what has happened with the latest build. Regardless of the USB device I plug in with 3186, I always get the Parallels error message for "USB device you are trying to connect is being used by another application." This applies for multiple hard drives, e-gate USB smart card readers, USB to DB9 Serial connectors. EVERYTHING. :eek:

Even if I dismount a drive in OSX before trying to attach it to Parallels, I get the same message. I have absolutely no USB connectivity with the latest RTM (*cough*) release. I've tried rebooting both parallels and OSX in general, and still nothing. :(

It seems to be an issue with Parallels tools, but i'm not positive. I was able to get USB devices after upgrading when the system first booted, and before the new version of Parallels tools was installed. Now I have nothing. :(

2. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

Try to uninstall Parallels tools, reboot the VM, and reinstall them

3. cetuma

cetuma Member

That seems to have helped thus far. I did notice before changing it over that when another USB device was using the USB chain at the time, other devices wouldn't be read. I have a drive that is in fairly constant use, and when I killed the processes that used that drive, then Parallels would be able to bring the device in. Strange, because a device in use should only affect the device being used. At least a reload of the tools has fixed it for now.

Thanks.

4. cjcmc

cjcmc Bit poster

I uninstalled parallel tools restarted VM installed again and same issue when I try to connect USB devices. I enter into an endless loop.

What is wrong with this? What can I do to fix it?

5. cjcmc

cjcmc Bit poster

solution was unistalling parallels and install it again, things should be more smooth since this is a paid version and not a beta any longer :mad:

6. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

ahhhh, but did you install over a beta ? ;)

7. cjcmc

cjcmc Bit poster

Yes, I did, but what is the point of it? If it shouldn't be possible then a pop-up should appear asking to uninstall it first or doing so automatically .

A final release should be seen as something stable :mad: .

8. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

indeed, but installing over a beta, youre in the land of unknowns.. its like "upgrading" Windows. in the long run, its always better to clean install.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  9. dscottbuch

dscottbuch Junior Member

I followed your advice and un-installed Parallels tools and re-installed and I still can't get the Apple USB Modem to work. It is recognized by the system but if I try to access I end up having to kill the parallels session ('Turn off' the session in parallels). Before I kill it Parallels goes to take up 104% of CPU. By access I mean either through the control panel-modem-properties or through a Hyperterm session.

I have a MBP 2 GHz Core Duo with 2Gbytes of RAM and I'm running the BootCamp partition with XP Pro SP2.

Is this every going to get fixed. I've been using/bought Parallels since the original Beta!!!!!!!!!