No USB in Boot Camp with 3094 (and possible hal.dll fix)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by silas, Dec 24, 2006.

1. silas

silas Bit poster

Updated to 3094, and it would choke on my Boot Camp partition. Had to force quit and then the Boot Camp partition didn't reappear on my desktop!

Tried to boot into Boot Camp and got the missing or corrupted hal.dll problem. Wondering if 3094 hosed my entire windows partition...

Then went back to parallels, turned off Coherence, and it would correctly start up... it chokes on coherence until you update the Parallels Tools, so DO NOT set the VM to go into coherence automatically after the update.

So I updated Parallels Tools, got Coherence working again, very nice. Activated XP for what I understand should be the last time.

Reboot back to Boot Camp: now it boots, lets me choose the configurations as under 3036, goes to the desktop, and then I'm gettng lots of "Found New Hardware" messages... like, every piece of hardware on the computer. Unfortunately, while it says at the end that it found a USB Host Controller (or somesuch), USB never gets power and my keyboard and mouse never work. Have to hard-restart and further tries choke at the same point.

So I'm guessing it's one of two things: I hosed the partition when I force-quit Parallels with my Boot Camp VM running... or else this hardware detection routine is simply how Parallels dealt with the activation issue, and it will boot like that every time, and (maybe) choke on USB every time.

Hopefully the former.

2. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

This sounds as if you made an error in the installation.
    Although the configurations appear, they should only "flash" momentarily on the screen and be auto-selected in the new version.
    Did you remove the OLD Parallels Tools For Boot Camp prior to upgrading?

ajm

3. silas

silas Bit poster

Hmm, I thought with the 3094 upgrade you need to reinstall the Parallels Tools, not the Parallels Tools For Boot Camp (PTFBC). I didn't see a new download of any new PTFBC and it's not included in the 3094 download... is there indeed a new one? If so, where?

4. joem

joem Forum Maven

The requirement for tools for bootcamp has been eliminated in Beta 2.