No Win2k Pro VMs in Parallels 4?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by talmy, Nov 12, 2008.

1. talmy

talmy Member

The supported VM list for Parallels Desktop 4 doesn't list Windows 2000 Professional but does list Windows 2000 Server. Can it be that Win2k Pro doesn't work anymore with Parallels??

This matters to me considering an upgrade to Parallels because my VMs are mostly Win2k because they are much smaller than XP yet still support the apps I care about.

2. talmy

talmy Member

Am I the only person using Win2K? A quick check with the requirements for version 3 shows that the support for the Pro/Workstation versions of WinNT and 2K were both dropped while the server versions are still supported. But is there any reason why these wouldn't run???

3. chacko

chacko Junior Member

Win2k works in a PD 4.0 VM, but an automated upgrade from a PD 3.0 Win2k VM does not work as PD 4.0 tools try to install a printer driver which is found on the Win2k installation cd.
    And besides of that Win2k is slower than Win XP in a PD VM (this is a pity because Win2k uses less memory/disk space than Win XP)...

4. talmy

talmy Member

Thanks. I guess I'll save the money and stick with PD 3 until otherwise forced to upgrade.

5. chacko

chacko Junior Member

PD 4.0 is as good to use with Win2k as PD 3.0. You will be able to upgrade your VMs to PD 4.0, but the advertised automated upgrade won't run as smooth as the user wishes.