Non-booting alternate OS's

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bytesplit, Oct 11, 2006.

1. bytesplit

bytesplit Bit poster

hi everybody!

first off all I like my first overview of Parallels Mac. I installed it on my 10.4.8 Macbook Pro 2/2/160 and it looked fine so far.

I got to install Solaris, which had some problems with X at first boot, but I got it fixed and had it running. But after the restart the bootloader waits for about 2 minutes before loading additional kernel modules and beginning to boot. Not a great thing, when do lots of testing with reboots.

So I tried installing Ubuntu server to do some testings there. The CD did work just fine. I installed a basic setup, but this won't boot at all. It comes to "uncompressing kernel", in activity monitor the CPU rises up to 100% and stays. Even after 20 minutes of waiting nothing happens.

I tried Next OpenStep, which was running just fine from floppy and CD. After the reboot from HD it just hangs loading kernel modules. Again I waited round half an hour without a change. The CPU still is at 100%.

What could I do to get a installed system to work when booted from disk?

2. videofx

videofx Bit poster

You need to edit your VM settings and click the VM FLAGS tab, then uncheck INTEL Vt-x support and if you installed openstep correctly it should boot.

3. bytesplit

bytesplit Bit poster

Might add some short notice...

PRAM reset did the trick! Now it all works just great.