Only one happy with PD4 (XP Pro SP3)?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mobilehavoc, Dec 17, 2008.

1. mobilehavoc

mobilehavoc Junior Member

After reading this message board I'm curious if anybody else out there is NOT having issues with PD4 (latest build) running XP Pro SP3. I have it running on a new Unibody 2.4ghz Macbook w/4GB RAM with OS X 10.5.6 as of yesterday.

- Performance seems significantly faster for me than PD3.
    - CPU util is low enough I can and do leave the VM running all the time in the background (in a separate Space). This has not effected my battery life in any way which is impressive
    - Putting the Macbook to sleep and then resuming works flawlessly with PD4. I'm guessing it puts XP to sleep to? Who knows but it works 10/10 times. I just close the lid to sleep and open it to wake
    - Coherence works great without any glitches or issues if I decide to use it
    - Suspending the VM takes on average 2-5 seconds top. Resuming can take between 5-15 seconds (depending if it's loading from disk or cached in RAM).
    - XP shutdown time is about 5 seconds from hitting Shutdown in Start menu. Startup is approx. 25 seconds or less.
    - VM activity rarely has any impact on OS X performance. I can be installing apps, booting XP, running a task in the VM and continue working in OS X without any perceivable impact (only time I felt it was when there was a substantial amount of disk activity going on in VM)
    - USB devices all work fine with VM and OSX.
    - Shared folders work perfectly with no issues (recent build seems to have improved performance)

I could go on and on. Am I the only one like this? I use the VM primarily for Office 2007 apps, Google Chrome and goofing around. It's configured for 2 vCPUs, 1GB RAM.

If nothing else, I hope this gives people hope that it is possible to have a great experience with PD4 and best of luck!

If sharing specifics of my configuration can help others, please ask and I'll be more than happy to post whatever you want.