Open error message (newbie)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by mac-newbie, Jan 20, 2008.

1. mac-newbie

mac-newbie Bit poster

Hi,

New to the forum and new to macs. First one bought in dec/07. Came over from the "dark side". Its a learning curve but I am getting used to mac and working with parallels.

I have an iMac with 2G of ram and I am running WinXP on the Parallels Desktop. I've allocated 804K ram for Para to run.

The problem I am having is after running Para for a while with one or two programs open (doesn't matter how many) the program(s) cease to function. By that I mean I cannot open a file or save a file from within the program I have open. Example, I have a simple PHP editor that I use for editing php files.

I receive a pop-up window that reads:

Open
    \\.PSF\.Home\Documents is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
    Insufficient resources exist to complete the requested service.

Can someone advise as to how to fix this? I work from my home office on my own computers so I am the 'admin'. Permissions 'should' be ok since I can open, edit and close a file without difficulty. But if the program runs for a while, say 30 mins, then the error pops up and I have to close Para and restart. a real PITA.

By the way if anyone can recommend a php editor program to run on Mac, I can eliminate one more program off of the Para desktop.

2. mac-newbie

mac-newbie Bit poster

Other errors I have received may not be related but they are:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program: ...Files\Parallels\Parallel Tools\ParallelsToolsCenter.exe

abnormal program termination

3. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Witch build off parallels your using?

Try reinstalling parallels tools while windows is running. Go to "actions" on top off your desktop and choose "installing parallels tools"

4. mac-newbie

mac-newbie Bit poster

build

Hi,

running PD 3.0 for Mac Build 5582 (Dec 5 2007). I ran the tools so I'll see how it goes. Thanks. I'll report back in a couple days. I hope that the tools also fixes the mouse being sticky. I run th e iMac and and ext monitor, putting the PD on the ext. Sliding the mouse from the imac to the ext monitor is not smooth. Montiors are side by side, PD to my right. If the cursor is anywhere in the lower 1/4 of the iMac screen trying to get over to the PD, it won't slide. Typically when that happens it cuases the iMac's desktop to change its display like when hitting the F3 button. A real PITA.

5. Alicia

Alicia Parallels Team

Hello,

mac-newbie, you can download the latest Parallels Desktop 3.0 build here. Please, update your PD, it would be useful :)

Then, if you have Parallels Tools installed, please, remove them first: go to Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Tools from there, then reboot Windows. After that, please, while your VM is running, go to Parallels Desktop top menu->Actions->Install Parallels Tools.

You can also try to reset the RAM allocated to your VM to 512 Mb (Open PD->Configuration Editor->Memory tab) and check if that increases the quality of work.