"open with" issue + memory issue

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Ephra, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Ephra

Ephra Member

[parr. 5582 /leopard]

after compressing my VM, 2 strange behaviors are going on:

1. when I choose ' open with' on mac OS, for instance a .doc with microsoft Word (windows), or a .png with paint shop pro, it now suddenly launches my Bootcamp VM (??? -never used in ages-) instead of my pure VM which is the only one I'm using and is running.
    How can I solve this, for I want that parrallels launches my application in my pure VM, as it used to do before compressing.

2. Got an annoying popup every time since I used compressor:

Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum too low
    Your system is low on virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging file. During this process, memory requests for some applications emay be denied.

What -step by step- to do about this? Cause I didn't change anything concerning memory and it was fine (I got a 32 gig VM and memory settings automaticly by Parallels)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  2. Ephra

Ephra Member

Can someone please reply?

thank you

3. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

Hello.

1. Can you open the Configuration Editor of your Bootcamp VM? If so, please disable 'Shared Applications' there.
    2. Please tell me when does this pop-up occur? What do actions do you perform at this time?

Best regards,
    Stacey

4. Ephra

Ephra Member

Hi Stacey, thanx for replying,

1. I had already done that. Disabled like everything there.
    When I restart my computer (only restarting the VM makes no difference) I can open with the right way 1 time. When I open with a second time -just for checking- it launches the BC-VM again and again and again...

2. This popup comes up for the first time about 15/20 minutes after having launched winXP...
    actions: with doing nothing...it just pops up every time. Also when I'm not even in win xp for a long time, but on mac OS side.
    I have nothing changed, everything is exactly the same before compressing..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  5. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

1. Please start your Bootcamp VM, in menubar select 'Applications' and under 'SmartSelect' click 'Set to default'. You might need to enable 'Shared Applications' in Configuration Editor.

2. Please try to do the following:
    - Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
    - In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    - In the Performance pane, click Settings.
    - In the Performance Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    - In the Virtual memory pane, click Change.
    - Change the Initial size value and the Maximum size value to a higher value, click Set, and then click OK.
    - Click OK to close the Performance Options dialog box, and then click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.

Best regards,
    Stacey

6. Ephra

Ephra Member

hi again,

ad1. no difference, unfortunately.

ad2. in the memorypane the initial size value is set to 50 Mb (?) and the maxium 768.
    It recommends 766. I changed the 50 to 766.
    Is that normal and right choice? Or should it be 512? I have no idea what is good.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  7. Stacey M

Stacey M Parallels Team

1. Please open the folder where the information on your Bootcamp VM is stored. There you will find 'Windows Applications' folder. Delete this folder.

2. I think 766 is normal. Does the message still occur?

Best regards,
    Stacey

8. Ephra

Ephra Member

1. Will do that.

2. I Will let you know -must test at least 30 min. with VM launched.

thanx for your help so far!

9. Ephra

Ephra Member

1. Problem solved for 90% -> Open with MS Word works now. But VM doesn't recognize .jpg and .tiff. It won't launch the application (Corel); nothing happens. With .png and .gif though it launches correctly.

2. No popups so far!
    The only thing is that my VM now hangs when I want to shut it down...