OS/2 Warp V4: SYS1210 and other errors abound!

Discussion in 'Parallels Workstation for Windows and Linux' started by PGHammer, Apr 14, 2006.

1. PGHammer

PGHammer Junior Member

I was using my OS/2 Warp 4 CD as a test case for Parallels 2.1 for Windows; however, every time I try to install OS/2 Warp V4 under Windows XP SP2 as a guest, I get either a Format error (HPFS partitions) or, if I format the partition (or partitions) myself as FAT, I get a SYS1210 error, and the OS refuses to install. VERY frustrating. The VM settings are for 128 MB of RAM and a 2 GB HD, and I'm using the enhanced IDE drivers originally for installing Warp 4 on IBM ValuePoints. The host system is a P4 2.6C with 1 GB of RAM.

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Why don't you use standard IDE drivers? All other details your given is OK - all should work fine. I installed it myself numerous times...

3. PGHammer

PGHammer Junior Member

I was *chicken*!

Mostly due to concern about the partition's size. I was not sure that I could have a single 2 GB partition with the standard IDE drivers.

I'll try again with a *standard* set of created floppies.

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It's OK with standard drivers. 2G disk in typical configuration was specially choosen as the biggest accepted by default OS/2 Warp 4 distro.

5. PGHammer

PGHammer Junior Member

SYS1210 strikes again

Apparently not. SYS1210 struck again. I even shrunk the memory down to 32 MB. No matter what, it errors with SYS0318 twice, followed *immediately* by SYS1210. And it won't format the virtual plain HD HPFS at all. Does it matter whether a DOS or Windows boot disk does the formatting, if FAT16 will be the format used (and no system files will be copied)? All attempts to format the partition within OS/2 result in a FORMAT error. (The partition is a plain non-expanding partition.)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  6. rs37

rs37 Member

Hi,

I install W4 in a 2 GB virtual hard disk (plain) with sucess using install disks updated with the last free IDEDASD.EXE from http://service.software.ibm.com/os2dd/free/idedasd.exe. It is version 4.98 from 2004-04-01. The most recent version is 5.01 from 2005-11-29 but is not free available (only convenience packages service subscribers had access to file).

Try version 4.98!

7. PGHammer

PGHammer Junior Member

Thanks for the help; I now have Warp 4 running. Next up; FixPaks and Driver optimization (sound driver is installed).