OS X Beta 5, VM Compressor RC error during/after defragmentation

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by jwhitney, Apr 28, 2006.

1. jwhitney

jwhitney Bit poster

Undefined ApiCall type(217)!

After an hour and a half or so, seemingly right before the final comression step should start, I get the above error and my VM shuts down. There's a message in front of the VM that says something about trying to run the disk compression tool in parallels tools on the VM and when I close that I see the above message.

Have tried several times with the same result. Got the error this morning with the beta of the VM compressor before I saw the RC version available. I downloaded and tried the RC version which yields the same result.

The image size doesn't appear to have been effected one way or the other.

I'm running OS X Beta 5 on a macbook pro with 2GB ram, 512MB allocated to the VM, with a 40GB expanding disk which shows 4.21GB used in the XP VM and is actually taking up 5.72GB (winxp.hdd = 5.72GB).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2006
  2. jwhitney

jwhitney Bit poster

The exact message before closing the VM and seeing the already posted message is:

Process of compacting of the virtual hard disk /Users/jwhitney/Library/Parallels/winxp/winxp.hdd was abnormally terminated due to the error. Please run Parallels Image Tool utility and use 'Defragment expanding hard disk image' function to complete compacting of the virtual hard disk.

I tried to follow this advice and it fails the same way.

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

4. jwhitney

jwhitney Bit poster