OS X Virtual Machine Disk Compression

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Guest OS Discussion' started by mpike, Dec 8, 2008.

1. mpike

mpike

So I am using Parallels Desktop 4.0 with a bunch of different OS's, and I installed OS X Server, and so far works very well...

HOWEVER, the virtual disk is HUGE! When trying to do Parallels Compressor, I notice it is grayed out... is there a way to compress this mammoth of a disk? At the rate it is growing now, it will fill up the HD within two-three days.

Thanks,
    mike

2. Anna Pichueva

Anna Pichueva Parallels Team

3. biovert

biovert

Compression Issues

Hi there,
    I've just installed Parallels 4 on a MacBookPro running OS X 10.5.5. Previously, when running Version 3, I was able to compress my virtual machine, but now it's grown to nearly 30GB of space (on an 80GB) drive. I've tried running Compressor after trying to run the Parallels Image Tool. In both cases, I get error messages telling me compression can't take place.

I have followed the instructions in the latest Parallels Guide but am not having any luck. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels

What is actual error?

5. biovert

biovert

Error Messages

I tried to run both Parallels Image Tool and Compressor last night. Here are the messages I got:

Parallels Image Tool: An error occurred while reducing the virtual disk size.

Parallels Compressor: During Disk(s) compression an error has occurred. Task has been aborted. Click Finish to exit Parallels Compressor.

In the case of Compressor, my virtual machine went through the process of preparing for compression before stopping and generating the error message.

I've also found that Windows XP is running extremely slowly under 4.0 but that's another issue I'll address by looking through the forums.