Panther and Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by 33Nick, May 19, 2006.

?

Running Windows 2000 or Panther?

Poll closed May 24, 2006.
  1. Would really need it.

18.2%
  2. Would like it.

18.2%
  3. Don't care either way.

18.2%
  4. Not interested.

27.3%
  5. Irrelevant.

45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 33Nick

33Nick Bit poster

Hi, I wanted to know if there was any plans to support running Windows 2000 or Panther.

Here is the logic behind as I am sure it will appeal to a lot of us switchers. A lot of people switched from Windows 2000 after seeing XP wasn't worth it and jumped on at or before the Panther time. Most of us, I believe are still waiting for Leopard. I guess we are used to waiting after years of deling with Microsoft.

Boot camp is not an option as dual booting is a pain and doesn't solve my immediate needs, to run an instance of Windows when I'm stuck on a PC centric app or web interface problem. Since we more or less own W2K it would be easier than buying XP.

Thanks,

Nick

:confused:

2. joem

joem Forum Maven

Win2k yes, Panther, no. Note that Panther is a PPC program while Tiger will run on Intel. Running Panther as a guest ain't gonna work in Parallels without someone writing a PPC emulator or adapting Rosetta, which probably won't run an OS.

3. 33Nick

33Nick Bit poster

Good point. It will be a very useful tool for me.

Thanks and keep up the good work

Nick

4. dgp

dgp Bit poster

I think he meant Panther not as a guest OS, but rather, as a host OS. In other words, running Parallels ON Panther not Panther under Parallels. That won't work, for the same basic reason. Panther only ran on PPC Macs, so Parallels (even assuming it doesn't use any other new Tiger technology) wouldn't be able to run. Parallels isn't really an emulator... you need to be using an Intel processor to run it, and and i386 OS to run within it.

Windows 2000, on the other hand, I think might already work. If it doesn't it probably will soon. XP is approximately the same OS. Just more eye candy.

5. 33Nick

33Nick Bit poster

Hi DGP, no I meant Panther as the OS to be used with Parallele to host W2k.

Hope this clears the confusion.

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

I can't work because Panther only runs on PPC processors and Parallels only runs on Intel processors. Tiger is (today) the only Mac OS that rns on Intel.

Win2k works just fine with Parallels, BTW.

7. 33Nick

33Nick Bit poster

Thanks I understand and it is correct. I'm getting comfused by the confusion. Good news if W2k works well. Now I need to upgrade to Tiger.

8. DaveP

DaveP Member

You will also need an Intel Mac! :)

9. 33Nick

33Nick Bit poster

Yup, there lies the tricky part, MacMini or wait for the desktop? :confused: Oh, and play Lottory :D