Parallels 17 with lifelong license crashing on Mac OS Ventura

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ThomasT14, Nov 15, 2022.

1. ThomasT14

ThomasT14 Bit poster

Dear Community,

I turn to you because I do not know if I do not understand the world anymore or have the legal conditions for the sale and further development of the software changed.

To the point: I use Parallels 17. Previously I had the software on the Mac OS 12, so on the predecessor of the current Mac OS Ventura.

After updating to Mac OS Ventura, Parallels 17 no longer works. It crashes over and over again. Why is there no update for Parallels 17 to make the software work on Mac OS Ventura? Instead, Parallels 18 is being sold.

This is like Microsoft forcing all buyers to buy a new version of MS Office after every Windows or Mac OS update?

Is this even legal what the manufacturer of Parallels is doing? After all, I didn't buy a 1-year license for Parallels, I bought a perpetual license.

Many greetings
    Thomas

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

2. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

The situation you are facing is related to the release of the new macOS Ventura, only Parallels Desktop 18 is fully compatible with this operating system.

If you don't want to upgrade to Parallels Desktop version 18, you can try one of the workarounds below:

Workaround №1:

1. Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).

2. Click on the Parallels Desktop logo on the Mac menu bar > select Control Center.

3. Right-click on the Parallels Desktop application icon in the dock > select Control Center.

4. Right-click on your virtual machine and select "Show in Finder".

5. Right-click on the .pvm file > "Show package contents".

6. Right-click config.pvs > "Open with" > TextEdit > locate the following string:

<SharedShortcuts>1</SharedShortcuts>

7. Change the value for Type from 1 to 0.

8. Press the Command-S shortcut to save changes.

9. Start your virtual machine, and check if the issue persists.

Workaround №2:

1. Shut down the Virtual Machine. Make sure that the virtual machine is shut down. If it is in a suspended state, please run it and then shut down (Actions > Shut Down).

2. Open the virtual machine's Configuration: click Parallels icon || > Control Center > right-click on the virtual machine > Configure.

3. Hardware > USB & Bluetooth > Uncheck "Share Bluetooth devices with Windows".

3. Thomas72

Thomas72 Bit poster

Nobody having Parallels 17 on macOS Ventura with VM crashing all the time issues?

4. ThomasH86

ThomasH86 Bit poster

Having the same problem, Windows 11 just goes away with no errors.

5. Thomas72

Thomas72 Bit poster

So I assume that is the way they want to "convice" the users to pay money again even you you have a "permanent license".
    This is not good, Parallels...

6. MarcoR15

MarcoR15 Bit poster

It's June 2023 and the problem persists in my 1-time purchase license. A Windows 10 VM that worked perfectly in Parallels17/BigSur is crashing al the time with Parallels17/Ventura Already followed the recommendation of disabling shared Desktop as suggested here: https://kb.parallels.com/en/128970 but the problem persists.

My solution was firing up a Windows machine and login remotely, Microsoft's Remote Desktop application works like a charm.

7. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Best Answer
    Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.

The situation you are facing is related to the release of the new macOS Ventura, only Parallels Desktop 18 is fully compatible with this operating system.

If you don't want to upgrade to Parallels Desktop version 18, you can try one of the workarounds below:

Workaround №1:

2. Click on the Parallels Desktop logo on the Mac menu bar > select Control Center.

3. Right-click on the Parallels Desktop application icon in the dock > select Control Center.

4. Right-click on your virtual machine and select "Show in Finder".

5. Right-click on the .pvm file > "Show package contents".

6. Right-click config.pvs > "Open with" > TextEdit > locate the following string:

<SharedShortcuts>1</SharedShortcuts>

7. Change the value for Type from 1 to 0.

8. Press the Command-S shortcut to save changes.

9. Start your virtual machine, and check if the issue persists.

Workaround №2:

2. Open the virtual machine's Configuration: click Parallels icon || > Control Center > right-click on the virtual machine > Configure.

3. Hardware > USB & Bluetooth > Uncheck "Share Bluetooth devices with Windows".