Parallels 3120 hangs on startup

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cparker, Jan 16, 2007.

1. cparker

cparker Junior Member

I've had this problem with Beta 3, and then it went away. I started to get it again with Beta 3, and I saw that there was the RC out, so I thought that might help. It didn't.

When I launch Parallels, the icon bounces for a while then stops. No window pops up, and no triangle shows up underneath the icon in the dock. Meanwhile, my computer becomes unresponsive. I can tell that the CPU is not always pegged, but the GUI feels like it is. I see in the Activity Monitor "Parallels Desktop (Not Responding)". I cannot use the AM to kill it. I am not able to reboot either. When I do, I get an error that Parallels Desktop won't quit. I've tried a kill -9. which seems to do more, but when I reboot after that, i get a blue screen with the chasing toothpick circle. The only way I have found to recover from this parallels launching hang is to hold down the power button which kills the machine.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but that didn't help.

To be clear, this is NOT when I start up a VM, this is when I start up Parallels. This happens before the user is prompted about which VM to load.

Chris

Machine Specs: MBP-DC 17" 2GB

2. cparker

cparker Junior Member

May have solved my own problem. Seems to be related to USB. One of my USB drives wasn't fully "up" yet. I don't know why that might be a problem, but when I removed it from the machine, Parallels started up fine.