Parallels 4.0: Videos at full screen frozen

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jkroll, Nov 13, 2008.

1. jkroll

jkroll Bit poster

When I'm watching online videos in Windows XP and I click to switch the video's display to full-screen, under 3.0 it worked fine. With 4.0, the image increases to full screen but it's frozen. However, the audio continues to play, and when I click a control to return to normal size, I'm returned to a video already in progress.

I've tested this with several different video players in both Firefox and IE, and in all the various Parallels display modes -- window, coherence, etc. Same thing. I've also tried changing the resolution under Windows/Settings; no change.

2. jkroll

jkroll Bit poster

I've found a solution to my problem -- disabling 'hardware acceleration' in my Flash player's settings. I still don't understand why I need to do this under 4.0 when it worked fine under 3.0. And this means I have to disable in Flash every time I open a new video.

Flash documentation suggests this is some problem with 4.0's new implementation of Directx 9. One post in these forums from Parallels suggested reinstalling Tools; I did that, to no avail. None of the three entries I can find in the KB for 'directx' seem to apply.

Also, I found the set of directions below in some other posts here from Parallels that would seem to relate to similar problems:

could you please try these workarounds:
    1. Minimize hardware acceleration level in display properties.

Right click on Desktop -> Personalize -> Display Settings -> Advanced
    Settings -> Trobleshoot tab. Put hardware acceleration level to zero.

2. Set Color in Display Settings to 24 bit making hardware acceleration
    set to maximum.

... But these don't work for me. If I disable hardware acceleration at all for the overall display, then I can't use the automatic capture-and-release of the mouse. If I set acceleration to maximum with 24 bit, I still can't get the video to move at full screen.

I've got a MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.6Ghz, 4GB memory.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008