Parallels 4, Boot Camp, 2 CPU, Extremely SLOOOOOOW Boot Times

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jeffro01, Dec 12, 2008.

1. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

I am having a very annoying issue with Parallels 4 and boot camp, specifically when 2 processors are selected.

In PD3 i had very fast boot times with my Boot Camp partition, no issues. Then i upgraded to V4 and my Boot Camp install (windows xp sp3) slowed to a crawl during boot... I have 2 CPUs selected and during boot my Macbook (2.4 aluminum 4GB RAM) grinds to a halt for 5 min or so with 100% CPU usage, until my XP install gets to the Ctrl+Alt+Del screen then things calm back down again, but for that 5 min while it's booting my system is totally unusable. I NEVER had this issue with PD3.

The culprit seems to be the new CPU support in PD4, when i select 2 CPUs my boot times are horrendous and my mac is unusable during this time, once i back the CPU down to 1 everything goes back to "normal" (1.5 min boot times and zero noticeable slowdown in OS X).

Whats going on????? Is this a major bug with PD4????

My Boot Camp configuration is set to 1GB RAM and 128MB video RAM, and currently 1 CPU, adaptive hypervisor turned off, performance favoring the VM, and better performance over better battery life.

Any suggestions???

On a side note... all of this caused me to have to reinstall OS X twice and XP\Boot Camp twice while i tried to figure out what in the world was going on...

Jeff

2. MakcyD

MakcyD Member

3. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

That did nothing for me, still seeing 3-5 min windows splash screen times with 2 CPUs selected, going back down to 1 CPU its about 1.5 min, which is still twice as slow as parallels 3 was...

There clearly is a bug in how the CPU is handled in PD4... Faster???? Right...... Although my upgrade was free i should have stuck with PD3, the only thing that is faster in PD4 is the speed of which the VM (pulling from Boot Camp) grabs the hard drive partition and starts booting the OS, that much is at least twice as fast but the rest.....

Jeff

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I believe youu click do not show message again, when you prompted that in Boot Camp VM, driver initialization may take up to 5 minutes

5. lanny

lanny Junior Member

Support is totally confused

Since I reported this problem, I have been receiving a huge amount of emails from Parallels support - always from somebody else in the From: field.

The advices were ranging from close to this problem to "out in left field". Today I received yet another couple of emails giving advices I already got several times before. I think that in an effort to show Support Responsiveness they just generate these based on some keywords in the original questions.

I had enough - my version 3 works flawlessly and I am not in business spending days on testing $49 software.

6. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

Um... that has nothing to do with whats going on???? I'm confused??? Why would you suggest that? I am way past the intial setup of parallels tools and such...

Jeff

7. John@Parallels

Please post here ticket ID

8. jeffro01

jeffro01 Member

Where do i file for a trouble ticket?

Jeff

9. John@Parallels

10. barrymaine

barrymaine Bit poster

I have had the same experience--it can take 20 -30 minutes for Parallels to boot up, and then it is still slow.