Parallels 4 fails to install/extract

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by bhorta1, Nov 11, 2008.

1. bhorta1

bhorta1 Member

Something is going on with the installer. when I look a the log this is what I see. I had version 3.0 but it got removed. I rebooted and tried again with the same error. so when I click to restart it said it failed.

Nov 11 14:33:56 S11 pkgExtractor[553]: BomFileError 62: Too many levels of symbolic links - ///usr/local/lib
    Nov 11 14:33:56 S11 pkgExtractor[553]: 720 of 720 files written in 9.41 seconds.
    Nov 11 14:33:56 S11 pkgExtractor[553]: 235452 kilobytes installed at 24.4 MB/s.
    Nov 11 14:33:56 S11 pkgExtractor[553]: pkgExtractor exited with error 1 while processing package '/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 4/Install.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Parallels Desktop 4.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz'
    Nov 11 14:33:56 S11 Installer[361]: Install failed: The Installer could not install some files in /. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

2. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Looks like a bad download.

Files get corrupted when fileservers are overloaded... It's kind of a normal thing. I'd reccomend re-dowloading it later today or tomorrow when their servers are not so loaded.

3. XidefiX

XidefiX Bit poster

similar problem

I'm having a similar upgrade problem. The installation proceeds all the way to the Restart required screen, and when I click restart an "Install Failed" box drops down, with (Show Error)(Quit) options. Show Error returns nothing, and Quit restarts and shows Parallels 4.0 installed but it won't start, and Uninstall fails saying that Parallels Desktop 4.0 is not installed. I tried to reinstall my old version 3.0, but the disk image appears to have been altered in the install process and won't load.

I spent an hour with tech support on a terrible phone connection, only to be directed to the online documentation in the end.

This is the message in the logs:
    11/11/08 2:01:24 PM pkgExtractor[2445] BomFileError 62: Too many levels of symbolic links - ///usr/local/lib
    11/11/08 2:01:24 PM pkgExtractor[2445] pkgExtractor exited with error 1 while processing package '/Volumes/Parallels Desktop 4/Install.mpkg/Contents/Packages/Parallels Desktop 4.pkg/Contents/Archive.pax.gz'

I'm dead in the water, and this is simply a disaster.
    --Tim

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  4. bhorta1

bhorta1 Member

The problem with that theory is if the download is corrupt the .pkg file would not extract and would report an error.

5. XidefiX

XidefiX Bit poster

Seems like others are having a ton of other problems, but not too many with the install problem.

Just wondering if this error might indicate the problem:
    Nov 11 22:22:04 Macintosh-69 pkgExtractor[753]: BomFileError 62: Too many levels of symbolic links - ///usr/local/lib

Just tried to look around using the terminal and when I try to cd to /usr/local/lib, terminal gives me:
    -bash: cd: lib: Too many levels of symbolic links

I'm not much of an expert under the hood, so just wondering if there's not something amiss with our OS X installations.

Any ideas?
    -Tim

6. XidefiX

XidefiX Bit poster

lib a circular link on our machines?

Just did an ls -l in /usr/local and lib is a link to /usr/local/lib, so this looks like a circular symbolic link.

No idea how that happened or how to undo it, but that would explain the error message. The date on mine is April 17, 2008, so doesn't appear to be related to the installation attempt today.

Anyone have an idea how to fix?

7. XidefiX

XidefiX Bit poster

Found the Fix!

Turns out that this is a Leopard problem (although it seems like a smarter installer might have been able to catch the problem). The circular reference is indeed the problem.

Fixed it by doing this:
    $ sudo mv /usr/local/lib /usr/local/lib_broken
    $ sudo mv /usr/local/lib\ 1/ /usr/local/lib

The installation then proceeded normally, and after the lengthy conversion process, WinXP is running again just fine.

Parallels folks: Sorry I yelled at your clueless tech wonk robots over in India this afternoon...

-T.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  8. Maciej

Maciej Junior Member

@XidefiX: Thanks for the fix! I seem to have this problem as well, however, the commands you supplied have no effect on my system. Here is what ls -l lib returns:

lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 14 22 gru 2007 lib -> /usr/local/lib

I have no idea what that "wheel" user is. When sudo asks for my password I give the password and I get no error, however, the symbolic link remains unchanged.

Anyone have any idea how to solve the problem?

9. Maciej

Maciej Junior Member

OK, found it: if you set a blank password for an administrative account, sudo will not work. So, if you have no user password, you need to set it in the Preferences, User accounts.

I proceed to Parallels Upgrade now...

10. XidefiX

XidefiX Bit poster

Good luck! Once I got the filenames fixed, the installation worked fine and the everything seems to work well.

11. Maciej

Maciej Junior Member

It installed ok, almost unattended :).

I was impressed when Parallels recognized my custom keyboard shortcut for switching to full-screen mode (when displaying a message telling me how to switch modes).

Unfortunately I am now having display driver problems - no large fonts (120dpi) possible :-(. But this is an issue for another thread/support ticket.

Thanks again XidefiX!

Maciej.

12. bhorta1

bhorta1 Member

I forgot to reply. Thanks for the fix, it worked. My wife would go nuts if she cannot use her Apple XP desktop :)

13. altavek

altavek Bit poster

Second command comes up with file not found

14. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib