Parallels 4 Vista 64-bit Boot Camp is sloooooooooooooooooooow

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BEIGE, Nov 15, 2008.

1. BEIGE

BEIGE Member

Is anyone else able to get Vista 64-bit to run from a Boot Camp partition with any reasonable speed? Even with 2048 MB of RAM assigned, it takes 4 minutes to boot and then it's glacially slow to use. It took 3 minutes to load a 33 MB installer.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

1. Set memory for Virtual Machinemore than 1 GB
    2. Perform Mac and Windows side disk defragmentation http://www.xvsxp.com/system/system_tools_defrag.php
    3. Set Adjust memory limit from Auto to Manual at Parallels Desktop -Preferences-Memory, and set limit a bit more higher than VM memory
    4. Disable Themes in Windows serives.msc stop Themes service
    5. If you are running in Coherence, try to switch to Single Window, or lower Mac resolution
    6. Some antivirus software can load CPU when Heuristic Prediction is set, or Tamper protection (Symantec, MacAffey), adjust settings to risk you are supposed, high security settings is not always good idea, as it can also affect software running
    7. Run msconfig , and disable unneeded startup items
    See http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_xp.html
    8. Make sure that no VNC,or remote desktop connection is established to Mac, this can slowdown Parallels Desktop
    9. Optimize computer experience for best performance
    10. Make sure that at least 1.25 GB of Memory is free for Mac OS (it is Total Memory - Virtual Machine Memory)
    11. Make sure that at least 2 GB +Virtual Machine assigned memory *2 is available on Mac OS partition where VM is located

3. BEIGE

BEIGE Member

turn off VNC? Really? I need that and I can't really give up remote access from my iPhone.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You can leave it, iit is for version 3, for 4 it is ok, never mind