parallels 4128 vista bootcamp 1.3?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by arrannen, Jun 16, 2007.

1. arrannen

arrannen Bit poster

I Read that this update is supposed to fix the problem with 1.3 bootcamp (vista freezes on the desktop just as its loading the bootcamp drivers) but after updating to 4128, nothing has changed....

to upgrade I did the following:

1. Uninstall 4124, reboot
    2. Installed 4128, reboot
    3. Load up bootcamp virtual machine, still crashes as its loading the bootcamp drivers
    4. reboot vista in safe mode, no problems...
    5. Delete all preferences, virtual machines, etc...
    6. Recreate botcamp virtual machine, start, freeze..

I've heard people saying that it fixed THEIR problems...anyone have any advice?

I've sent several emails to support and after a week, am tired of waiting.

2. wingdo

wingdo Pro

This is a common problem which has been solved for a number of people in various ways. I used a number of different solutions to solve my BC issues, but they always came back and twice I could never recover.

The best suggestion I can offer you is to use the forum search function and search for the two following keywords (I'd do them separate), first is 'HAL.DLL' and the second is 'Kernal.exe'. Parallels boot process overwrites these files and it's shutdown process puts them back correctly if I recall (it could be the BC boot process restores them but I do not believe that to be the case).

This thread helped me a couple times, but for now I have given up using Parallels with BootCamp. I would also suggest you send an e-mail to the parallels team (as well as posting in the wish list) that you would like to see Parallels Desktop properly support an 'ACPI Computer' setup. All Intel Macs are ACPI computers and so boot camp (and Fusion for that matter) treat the VMs as an ACPI Computer. Parallels treats its VMs as a 'Standard Computer' and since these two standards are vastly different Parallels has to modify the HAL.DLL (and some people report the kernal is also changed) to allow boot camp partitions to run under Parallels.

I am sorry I don't have a real fix to offer, but you will find with the searches there are a number of "fixes" which have worked for various people. I don't think there is one right way to resolve this.

3. Rachel Faith

Rachel Faith Hunter

Wingdo.... WOW... I did not know that about the kernal and Hal files. YIKES O MAN !! What are they thinking ??