Parallels 5 and Win 7 Pro Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JonathanC, Nov 5, 2009.

1. JonathanC

JonathanC Bit poster

This is a deal breaker for me folks,'

The question is, if someone has a win 7 bootcamp partition that they are accessing *successfully* with parallels 5 are you having any activation or licensing issues with your software?

When I was on build 7100 of win 7 bootcamp; accessing the partition through parallels 4.0.3846 it would kill my win 7 activation and licenses for programs such as 3D studio max.

So here is the deal break, when using Parallels 5 and accesing a win 7 bootcamp partition is it smooth as bread goes on butter, or are their still activation and program licensing issues that arise?

If anyone want's to chime in any indication good or bad would be helpful for me.

2. KPOM

KPOM Member

I had to re-activate Windows once in virtualization, but after that it seems to be working OK both in Boot Camp and Parallels. It was the same with Fusion 3. Be sure you have Parallels Tools installed before you re-activate your software and it should save the activation data so you don't need to do it again.

3. KPOM

KPOM Member

Note I'm using Windows 7 Pro (32-bit).

4. JonathanC

JonathanC Bit poster

Win 7 64 bit pro support?

Thanks for the input @KPOM,

I'm assuming when you re activated (after installing parallel tools) you used the same activation key that you firstly used installing win 7 on the boot camp partition?

Thanks for clarifying you are on 32 bit, im using 64 bit Win 7 pro..IDK if that makes a different or not, but its enough of a difference for me to still be cautious about it.

5. KPOM

KPOM Member

I tried running the online Activation process in Parallels, but since it was my third such activation since October 22 (Boot Camp installation, Fusion 3 last week, Parallels 5 this week), it prompted me to use the 800 number. It took about 6 minutes on the phone, but it activated OK.

6. Raymond Weeth

Raymond Weeth Junior Member

Parallels 5 and Win 7 Ultimate Bootcamp

I downloaded parallels 5 today and performed a standard install/upgrade of my operational parallels 4 and win 7 ultimate on bootcamp. Now I get a stop error, and my virtual machine won't boot. So much for simple upgrades
    I have now idea how to get my vm running again