Parallels and MIDI

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by kleeman51, Aug 13, 2007.

1. kleeman51

kleeman51 Bit poster

We bought a Casio PX-575R keyboard for our daughter to take to college. She wants to be able to use a music authoring program like Midiillustrator to write music from the keyboard into the computer. The Casio USB MIDI port needs Windows to run, so I'm trying to find out if anyone has actually done something like this. She's got a recent MacBook Pro, so the idea would be to install Windows XP on the MacBook, running in Parallels, which would in turn run the authoring program, which would have to be Windows based to co-exist with Casio.

Any thoughts, ideas, etc.?

Thanks,

kleeman51

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

not to discourage you from parallels, but if she doesnt need to run osx at the same time as windows, I'd look to using bootcamp rather than parallels.

3. kleeman51

kleeman51 Bit poster

Can you shed a little more light on your suggestion? Any particular reason why to do it that way? Rebooting certainly doesn't take very long on a MacBook Pro.

Thanks,

kleeman51

4. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

you'll avoid any issues with usb devices not working or parallels not recognising devices correctly. Windows is completely native in bootcamp as aposed to running in an emulated environment under parallels.

5. ernieman

ernieman Bit poster

There is another program called Crossover, and they have created a patch (beta) that allows MIDI to function in their PC virtualization program on the Mac. Their software is cheaper than Parallels and one doesn't need a Windows license to use it. Therefore, I am perplexed why Parallels, with its head start in the virtualization realm, and its 4-star rating in MacWorld, can't get it together to have working MIDI in their software. MIDI is a relatively simple USB device, the standard is almost ancient history by computer standards, and it doesn't require a particularly fast connection. When can we see this function, and what is the hang-up? There are definitely tons of musicians out there using Macs who could use this function.

6. kleeman51

kleeman51 Bit poster

Thanks very much! I'll look into it for sure. Right now we're in a holding pattern. I installed Windows XP on her machine, but she hasn't used it yet, as we are still looking for the right MIDI program to interface with what she wants to do.

7. ernieman

ernieman Bit poster

Unfortunately I spoke too soon

Unfortunately, it turns out that Crossover is not officially acknowledging anything about MIDI as yet (even though a friend of mine is beta-testing for them). So, they will probably tell you that they do not have it implemented. However, as to your own problem - why would you need any Windows programs? There are dozens of Mac programs that work fine with MIDI - just off the top of my head, Sibelius, Digidesign, and Apple's own programs including (I think) Garageband. I have been using Mac and MIDI since around 1987, I think. My son, who is your daughter's age, opened up Sibelius and wthin 1 hour he had created a music score. I highly recommend it. Mac was - and is - the premier music computer since day one of the Mac. My own situation is a bit different, as I have invested considerable time (and thousands of files) in a software program that will only continue on the Windows side.

8. kleeman51

kleeman51 Bit poster

Because the keyboard in question will not work with the Mac OS. It's USB driver is Windows based only. Casio support has stated this explicitly. And Casio has no plans to make a Mac compatible driver at this point. She needs to be able to use this particular keyboard. It's a weighted-key type with a fabulous variety of sounds and functions.

9. ernieman

ernieman Bit poster

OK, I happen to be knowledgeable about music and electronic keyboard, etc., being a professional musician for the last 25+ years. In electronic music keyboards, every keyboard since around 1985 has had MIDI in and out. That is standard. MIDI in and out is a different looking connector than USB. MIDI connectors look more like serial ports. They are rounded with pins. This keyboard should have them. If it does, the keyboard will work with Mac or PC. The USB part is probably non-essential. If this keyboard does not have MIDI connectors, then it is probably so low-end as to be fairly frustrating music tool. As an example, you can go to any online music store and find simple music keyboards with MIDI for $100 or less.

10. kleeman51

kleeman51 Bit poster

The lack of a standard MIDI port is Casio's idea of a good time here. This particular keyboard has weighted keys, sounds and plays like a real piano, etc... She tried a lot of pianos out before she picked this one. I've been a professional musician since 1970, and it was baffling to me to see the way that Casio handled the MIDI output on this particular series of keyboard. According to the gentleman who owns the store (who also plays in my band) there are a lot more keyboards being produced with less and less standard MIDI outputs; more USB enabled interfaces are becoming the norm.

Why Casio would make their USB drivers Windows only is, in my opinion, fairly ridiculous considering how many musicians use Macs!

11. rittenhousesq

rittenhousesq Bit poster

I did a search of the forums and couldn't find any recent information. Does anyone know if any MIDI devices work or are supported in the most recent build of Parallels? I use one particular very specialized piece of software that is Windows only and requires a MIDI connection.
    I just tried connecting my M-Audio Uno midi interface, and the drivers install but there seems to be no connection (the lack of activity lights on the device confirms this). I know I could use Bootcamp, but was trying to avoid this as my time management software (I use this for my home consulting) is on my Mac.
    Anyone yet have any luck with getting a USB MIDI connection with Parallels? I'm running Windows Professional XP SP2.
    Thanks!

Update: Full disclosure - I am not much of Windoze guy (nothing to be ashamed of), so I reconnected my MIDI interface, and this time, since I had already downloaded the driver software, I allowed the Windows connection Wizard to search for the drivers. It did its thing and at least now the activity lights on the device indicate a live connection, although I got a message saying there was a problem with the software and my device may not work properly and my software does not see the device. Will continue to fiddle, but anyone with MIDI experience with Parallels that knows of an interface that definitely works, please chime in!

NEW UPDATE: Tried a different USB MIDI interface and am happy to report that the drivers for the MOTU (Mark of the Unicorn) USB midi interfaces work with Parallels. So this is good information for others who may be looking to use MIDI with Parallels.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008