Parallels broke Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by qom, Nov 16, 2007.

1. qom

qom Junior Member

Parallels Broke Bootcamp - Black Screen of Death

Hi,

Yesterday I tried installing parallels together with my bootcamp partition, everything seemed to work out well, however, when I tried to boot into bootcamp, I would not be able to use keyboard/mouse.

So I googled for help, found out that I should change the timeout to a higher value, which would let me choose xp conf instead of parallels, so I changed the timeout in boot.ini from 1 to 7. Which gave me the famous hal32.dll missing/corrupt, so I used my XP cd to replace the files.

Tried to boot up again, bootcamp was dead.
    Tried to use parallels to boot up xp, which gave me this:
    NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt.

After some searching if I learned that I should try to reinstall parallels, so I did that to.
    That made me able to but up parallels again, but still no bootcamp.

If I try to boot into bootcamp I get a few blinking "_" then no more.

This is my boot.ini:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=1
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Parallels configuration" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /kernel=ntkopvs_.exe /hal=halopvs_.dll

If I try to change boot.ini to a different timeout, and change partition or whatever, the values are back to parallels orginal settings when I reboot.

Running Leopard with Parallels 5160

Saw that I could try to repair my XP installation, so I tried that too, but the console won't let me repair the god damn installation, because there's a bug that won't accept my password, even though I type the right one.

SIGH!! :(

Help appreciated

Regards
    Per

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  2. qom

qom Junior Member

Why does Parallels constatly rewrite the boot.ini? I don't understand.

3. qom

qom Junior Member

No one that can help me out? :(