Parallels broken with WWDC Leopard Preview.

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by alan, Aug 13, 2006.

1. alan

alan Junior Member

Parallels Beta refuses to make new or use existing HDD images when installed on WWDC Leopard Preview.* resorting back to Q.

2. organik

organik Member

Yes, of course the official release is far away, but it would be nice to use parallels with leopard in the meantime. Not that I have leopard, I'm not a developer. *wink

3. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

It's a DEVELOPER PREVIEW BETA. This is the first time the DEVELOPER's get the code to test their apps with. From what I've read, right now there are other apps that don't work either. This is not a surprise. It's interesting to know that Parallels doesn't work as it is now, but it certainly isn't a surprise.

4. wesley

wesley Pro

Kinda reminds me of Vista beta... breaks a lot of apps.

5. pfile

pfile Bit poster

get real, parallels is special. there are probably 10,000 ways it can break since it has to deal with the OS at such a low level. in other word, it isnt just "an app".

6. Tony Arnold

Tony Arnold Member

Given that what apple seeded to us at WWDC was a preview of a subset of the features that will be in Leopard, it would probably be a bit of a stretch to expect Parallels to class this fix as a high priority. That being said, I certainly wouldn't complain if I could run Parallels at the same time as using Xcode 3.0 :)

7. schmidp

schmidp Member

I had a quick spin on Parallels under Leopard with an existing Virtual Machine, worked without any problems.

lg philipp

8. wesley

wesley Pro

I'm sure Parallels isn't the only 'special' app out there... ;)

9. Moondougie

Moondougie Member

Can Q be installed in Leopard?

10. coopermj@muohio.edu

coopermj@muohio.edu Junior Member

//s 1862 fails to load an image -- drive geometry error. Release build works fine. Given that release worked and beta fails, now seems the perfect time to point it out b/c there's probably only so many changes that went in.

1862 is great in that it works my Treo 700w, but sad in that I can't stay in leopard. I would greatly appreciate it if I could stay in leopard, but understand it's probably not a priority (other than it seems an easy time to rollback).

11. Christopher Ryan

Christopher Ryan Bit poster

There are a couple of glitches with the beta on the WWDC Developer preview.

1) Drawing happens in funny colors

I suspect this is due to the use of QT for drawing.* If you look at the QT source code (I have no idea what version Parallels uses).

It checks for the OS version (qlobal.cpp:1458) and only understands 10.0 -> 10.4.x.

2) Disk Geometry problem

Not sure what is causing this, but makes it so you can't make or use existing VMs.

12. Christopher Ryan

Christopher Ryan Bit poster

Oh, BTW, to get around #1

Change your*/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist*
    ProductVersion value from 10.5 to 10.4.7.
    Launch Parallels (the latest beta).
    And then change ProductVersion back to 10.5.
    #1 goes away.