Parallels Coherence - Multiple Monitors with Different Resolutions?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jason@jasoncross.com, Sep 25, 2008.

1. jason@jasoncross.com

jason@jasoncross.com Bit poster

I am running Parallels across three monitors in Coherence mode. While I am able to move items from desktop to desktop, it looks like Windows under Parallels is seeing all three monitors as one big screen. The problem is that one of my screens has a larger vertical resolution than the other two, so items on the smaller screens keep opening in Parallels outside of the viewable area.

Is there a way to make parallels/Windows treat multiple monitors as separate screens/resolutions, or alternatively, is there a way to have coherence only use a set resolution (which I would set as the full horizontal resolution of all three screens combined, and the vertical res of the small screens)?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Unfortunately it is not possible in current version

3. andrabr

andrabr Bit poster

+1 for this feature

In the perfect world Separate monitors will be seen by Windows as separate instances of Parallels driver.

Some CAD and graphics software becomes rather unusable without this feature. If you want to fel the pain - just check good old IrfanView!

Please implement. PLEASE?

4. John@Parallels

We are working on it, probably different resolution support will be available in the next version

5. wesley

wesley Pro

Uh... the recently released version 4 does not seem to have this support. It'll just blindly stretch the screen as if there's only one long monitor, like in version 3. VMware Fusion does multiple display support for its Unity function correctly, that is, make Windows natively recognize that there are indeed two or more monitors.

I hope to see this fix added to a later build of version 4 soon. Very soon, if possible.

6. John@Parallels

Multiple different monitor size support was added, and actually we are near to include multiple monitor support , we just want to be it is stable

7. sbock98

sbock98 Bit poster

Is there any way you can give us an idea on when this will be stable? Multiple monitor support is such a huge thing, i would have thought it would have been included in the initial v4 release.

8. John@Parallels

Sure, we will add this as we understand that it is stable

9. chuckiemac

chuckiemac Bit poster

I'm afraid multiple monitor support (of the VMWare Fusion type) is a must before I spend money on an upgrade. I'm disappointed it wasn't included in version 4 – VMWare added it to version 2 of their software. I've switched to Fusion and won't even consider switching back to Parallels until true multiple monitor support is added to Windows VMs.

10. revelator

revelator Bit poster

Implemented?

Any update on whether this has been implemented or not?

11. Blowfishie

Blowfishie Bit poster

I'm adding my voice to the list of those who require this feature. I've just upgraded my Mac Mini to 2 monitors (via a USB monitor - grin) and my Windows CAD tools need a lot of manual resizing to fit neatly in the space I've got.

12. macworks

macworks Bit poster

New Apple 24 inch LED monitor only working in mirror mode in Windows Vista

Using Desktop 4.0 for Mac on trial I am disappointed to find that while it is otherwise working well in Windows Vista it will permit use of a new Apple 24-inch LED monitor only in mirror mode. The display detection panel in Vista does not recognise the additional monitor when I try to "connect" although it is in fact connected and working in mirror mode as and recognised as non-generic display. Vista indicates that the Parallels Video Adapter is working fine.

Is this issue is in the same boat as others raised above, ie awaiting an update in Desktop 4.0, rather than being a microsoft issue? If so how much longer is it likely to be before there is a fix please?

Macbook Pro 15" 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM
    Parallels 4.0, Windows Vista Home Preumim and SP1

13. Michael Glasser

Michael Glasser Bit poster

Excellent news... and thanks for "letting the cat out of the bag" before release. I look forward to this one, too.

14. John@Parallels

We are working in this direction, unfortunately I am not able to provide ETA,

15. macworks

macworks Bit poster

Thanks for the update John.

16. jashaffner

jashaffner Bit poster

+1

Hey, John, how is it going with the development to support multiple monitors with different resolutions?

My use case: I need to be able to see one program on one monitor and the other on second monitor. Both programs run on same vm (winxp). I kinda get by for now by resizing both windows since maximizing them will stretch over both monitors as one huge window covering the other.

17. John@Parallels

Just reminder , that we are working,
    Sorry no ETA for now, I will update thread when there are news

18. jashaffner

jashaffner Bit poster

Thanks for the update.

19. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Starting from build 4.0.3810 we've improved our support for multi-monitor in Coherence.
    In that build (or later) make sure you have "Use Multiple Displays" option
    selected in VM preferences. Applications should Maximize correctly.

Let us know if this helps.

20. jamone13

jamone13 Bit poster

Still not working

I have 4.0.3810 and I have multiple monitors, and in coherence mode, it still acts like one large display, and because my monitors are different resolutions (MacBook Pro ~1400x800 and DVI 24" at 1920x1080) any windows can only be 800 tall or they will disappear when stretched or moved past that limit.