Parallels compressor problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Compressor' started by Garyunc, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Garyunc

Garyunc Bit poster

I am trying to run parallels compressor and I am getting the generic error message when I try to run it - "cannot run compressor because snapshots exist or disk is not a virtual disk or it is an undo disk". My disk is most definately a virtual disk and no undo disks exist. I did have snapshots but I delete them. However one of them was corrupt because I had moved it to a backup disk and back to the main disk. The snapshot manager shows no snapshots exist but the compressor tool must think that one exists. How can I reset the snapshot manager so the compressor will allow my disk to be compressed?

2. I have the same problem. Then I tried running the "Parallels Image Tool" which is a separate application. (Why isn't there is a menu item to launch this from Parallels Desktop?) It show that while my VM might not have snapshots anymore, my disk image still did. Of course, the "Merge snapshots" option is absurdly slow.

3. yibbidy

yibbidy Bit poster

Same error with no apparent reason

I have the same problem as Garyunc. I deleted my snapshots and the other requirements are satisfied - it is an expanding disk, it is not a boot camp partition, windows is not running in safe mode. Very frustrating as I appear to have everything correct.

4. yibbidy

yibbidy Bit poster

Problem solved.

There seems to be some kind of bug in compressor that is reset by the following:

The trick is to close down the VM and run the disk image tool. Select the "Compact disk" option. This may take several hours depending upon the size of your disk.

Once this has finished, boot up the VM, then run compressor and it should work this time. This will take quite a long time also.

My original VM file size was 67GB. After running the disk image tool it was 42GB. Then after compressor, just 31GB.

Very good, happy now!