Parallels Desktop 4.0 and 3dMax

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MartaS, Oct 22, 2009.

1. MartaS

MartaS Bit poster

Hi everyone,

Last week I have purchased and installed Parallels Desktop 4.0 on my MacBook (2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, graphic card GMA X3100, Snow Leopard, on Parallels Windows XP (SP2)) without any problems. Two days ago I wanted to install Autodesk 3dMax and even though the installation was successful every-time I've tried to run 3dMax... for a second I could see all of the viewports and tools of the 3dMax as they should be and then everything was turning pixalated and distorted even the window of the whole windows itself!
    I have tried different installations of original licensed 3dMax 9 and 3dMax 10, with DirectX9 and without. I have tried to switch the graphic modes starting up the 3dMax and nothing has worked so far. All of my software both on Mac and Windows is up-to-date so why is it still not working and what should I do? Turn back to boot camp? Or what might be the problem? 3d acceleration? Parallels website says that Parallels Desktop should run 3dMax 9 with DirectX9 but in my case it didn't work. Please help.

Kind regards
    Marta

2. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Hello MartaS,

Please check that if you have the correct configuration set to run 3D softwares.

The optimized settings are:

1. Not more than 50% of memory than on Host, so 1.5 GB for Windows XP should be OK (usually under Configure -> Memory).
    2. Try to set anti virus settings for not to high for heuristic scan (details will vary for various anti virus so contacting vendor support is Ok).
    3. Try to set Video Memory to 256 MB to get good sharp graphics. (usually under Configure -> Video).
    4. Also check whether Enable 3D Acceleration is checked under Video.

Let me know the status of the issue.

Thank you.

3. MartaS

MartaS Bit poster

Hi Parallels Team,

Thanks for a fast reply:)

I have checked the configuration of Parallels and currently it goes as follows:
    - Main memory is set to 512MB,
    - Video memory to 128
    - and the acceleration is active

but for some odd reason I can't change/manipulate the zippers with adjustments to change the settings to advised parameters.

Is there any function that might be selected in other configuration bookmarks that doesn't allow me to change anything?

4. Bopanna I G

Bopanna I G Hunter

Hello MartaS,

Please shut down Windows from Start -> Turn off computer.

Then you will have a blck screen with Windows XP written on it.

Please now click on the configure button and then change the settings as per suggested.

Thank you.