parallels desktop cannot find necessery drivers to configure your boot camp

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sailingmac, Jan 22, 2007.

1. sailingmac

sailingmac Bit poster

i have got a imac 24"
    2,33 core 2 duo
    for a couple of days, if have been trying to get mij parallels working with my boot camp XP partition.
    when i try to run my vertual machine i get the folowing eror

Parallels Desktop cannot find necessery drivers to configure your boot camp partition.

i have been surfing the forum for a couple of days but cant find a solution for my problem.

das somebody got a cluw how to fix this

kind reguards

sailingmac

2. angstmann

angstmann Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem. I have installed everything from scratch... this is a brand new Boot camp installation and I get the same error - it doesnt have the necessary drivers.... any ideas from anyone?

3. nycruza

nycruza Hunter

OK, let's start at the beginning.
    You installed boot-camp
    You installed windows XP SP2
    You installed the Mac Drivers for Windows
    You tested and directly booted into Boot-Camp/Windows and everything works
    ---------
    You downloaded Parallels 3120 RC1
    You installed Parallels
    You configured parallels going to Custom and selecting Boot Camp partition.

Now, you try to start the Boot-Camp partition and you receive an error PRIOR to the windows screen appearing.

Am I correct in what you are saying?

ajm

4. BillyFat

BillyFat Bit poster

That is exactly what happened with me. After the first failure I got rid of the boot camp partition with Boot Camp Assistant, re-partitioned, and started the whole thing again getting the same error.

Any help is appreciated.

5. heppy

heppy Bit poster

Yep...I'm having the same issues too.

Brand New Mac Book Pro Latest OS X updates, 120gb HD, with Boot Camp partition NTFS 5Gb formatted. Boot Camp works flawlessly, no problems at all. but then I get the same problem we seem to be having in this thread.

Upgraded to latest RC today and still no difference.

I'd love to pay the $70 for this product but no-one seems to know what to do.

BTW : I've copied the sp2.cab and drivers.cab over to the correct place and obviously to no avail.

Any takers with a solution?

Simon

6. 2ndgenirish

2ndgenirish Bit poster

Same problem on my Mac Pro

Same problem on my Mac Pro

7. ClunkClunk

ClunkClunk Junior Member

Same here on my MBP.

I am using XP SP2 Corporate Edition. Could that be the problem?

8. ClunkClunk

ClunkClunk Junior Member

I had the error that stated:
    In the Parallels User Guide it has some info about this error:
    When I did this, I had driver.cab on my XP disc, but I did not have sp1.cab or sp2.cab. If I copied driver.cab and tried Parallels, I got the same error. I fixed it by locating another copy of an XP install disc, and digging in the disc to find the sp2.cab file, dropping it in to the i386 folder, and trying Parallels. After I did that, Parallels Desktop functioned exactly how it should with my Boot Camp partition. I'm not too sure why my disc doesn't have that file. It's an XP Pro Corporate Edition, SP2.

Either way, my successful steps were these:
    1. Boot directly to XP via Boot Camp
    2. Copy sp2.cab from XP disc (or download it perhaps) to C:/windows/driver cache/i386
    3. Reboot back to Mac OS X
    4. Set up Parallels Desktop to use Boot Camp

9. BillyFat

BillyFat Bit poster

I copied sp2.cab from my install disc (XP Pro Corporate Edition) to the i386 directory on my boot camp installation and it didn't help. I got the same "Parallels Desktop cannot find necessary drivers to configure your Boot Camp partition. Please refer to Help> Parallels Desktop Help> Using Boot Camp Windows XP Installation for troubleshooting." error.

I then copied sp2.cab from my brother's XP Pro (not Corporate) installation to my boot camp installation and now parallels->boot camp works for me.

I don't know what the difference is.

10. reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell Bit poster

Same for me

I've got a black MacBook .. same exact issue. This is a bit distressing, being that it is a new machine, my first experience with Parallels, and I have to hack a few files over. Oh well, I'll see if the manual copy works, and report back.

This should be fixed pronto, because after their new announcement a lot of ppl are going to be checking out Parallels for the 1st time ... and this would kinda suck for a user experience.

11. reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell Bit poster

Now worse?

Well, i booted into XP (via boot camp) and copied the driver.cab and sp2 that I got from the xp corp disc into c:\windows\driver cache\i386 .. and it asked if I wanted to copy over the existing driver.cab (was same one with same date) and I said yes. Then it copied sp2 (which apparently wasn't already there).

Rebooted into os x, ran parallels, and now it says 'Can't find boot camp partition'

I just tried again, but now it is back to saying: Parallels desktop can not find the neccessary drivers to configure boot camp partition...

Bummer.

Any ideas folks??

12. reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell Bit poster

So...... any ideas out there?

13. dietero

dietero Bit poster

Can't find drivers....

After completing all of the suggestions, i.e. install Sp2.cab, Driver.cab, to no avail I made a new installation.
    I completely removed the Boot Camp Partition and had Boot Camp build a new one. I then installed a version Of Xp SP2 Home that I now also have running on the Parallels partiton.
    Voila, Parallels now has no problem finding (the drivers??) and starting the Boot Camp Windows installation.
    The fault appears to be my Windows XP Pro Sp2 install disk, which I admit has a questionable pedigree, the fault does not appear to be Parallels'.

I run an iMac Core2 Duo, 2.16 GH 2 GB of RAM. For technical reasons The BootCamp Partition at the moment is still formatted at FAT 32.:)

14. reesmaxwell

reesmaxwell Bit poster

I copied the sp2.cab that came from the aforementioned location (somehow different from my SP2) and that appeared to resolve my issue.

One oddity, before I launched Parallels, I could see "no name" C partition mounted in OS X. After starting parallels, I don't see it in OS X.

Is it supposed to be this way?

15. ClunkClunk

ClunkClunk Junior Member

reesemaxwell -
    Try opening Disk Utility, selecting your Boot Camp partition and mounting it. Sometimes Parallels doesn't successfully remount the partition after it's done using it. Glad to hear your situation was solved :)

16. 2ndgenirish

2ndgenirish Bit poster