Parallels Desktop failed to allocate the specified amount of memory

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dhjdhj, Apr 18, 2009.

1. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

I just replaced the hard drive in my new macbook pro with a larger one and I used super duper to clone the original drive and then put the image on the larger drive. Everything works fine except my Parallels 3 (release 5636) which now produces the error "Parallels Desktop failed to allocate the specified amount of memory....etc...etc)

Enabling the virtual memory preallocation did not help, neither did uninstalling/rebooting/reinstalling etc. etc.

The virtual machine was configured with 2Gb of RAM, the maximum supported by Parallels 3, I think. I discovered that if I lowered the RAM value all the way down to 1Gb then Parallels would start my VM. Unfortunately 1Gb RAM is not sufficient for me to do my work. So how do I fix this problem?

David

P.S. I did of course search the forums and according to a thread http://forum.parallels.com/thread14197.html, this bug was fixed several years ago. Well, uhm... it isn't fixed!

2. htmanning

htmanning Member

I have the same problem!

The bug is still there. I too cloned my drive to upgrade to a 500gb drive. NOTHING I do can get this working. No setting can be changed to make this work. Parallels Tech Support keeps giving me lame suggestions that they have to know won't do anything.