Parallels Internet Security update painfully slow

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by summitscout, Jan 18, 2009.

1. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

When resuming/starting VM, Parallels Internet Security updates its database. During this time, the VM becomes practically unresponsive even though Activity Monitor doesn't show unusually high levels of activity for the PD app or the OS.

See the attached screenshots.

Picture 4 shows a 35 minute gap between the system tray clock (11:47) and last time PIS reported progress (11:23). During thie time, the VM was virutally unusable and no email was delivered.

Picture 5 shows completed PIS database update process which took 40 minutes! Note the modem speed download stats of 6.13 Kb/s. I was wirelessly connected (via time capsule) to a 3.0 mbps DSL connection which is otherwise up to speed.

I experienced this same problem with the paid Kaspersky version of this same application (7.125) in PD4. I recently switched to PIS, assuming that it was somehow optimized for PD. I don't recall having these problems with Kaspersky and PD3. I filed a report: 27432.

I am not sure what the problem is. Not bandwidth- my connection is otherwise full speed even inside the VM. Not sure if this is a Kaspersky issue or a PD issue since it has occured with both versions. But it wasn't a problem in PD3 so I am assuming Parallels is at play some how.

Is anyone having painfully slow updates? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. summitscout

summitscout Hunter

Resumed VM this morning and now PD4 is asking if I want to install PIS. It is already installed!

Attached Files:

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Please do following
    1. Uninstall PIS
    2. Remove Kaspersky installation folder from from c:\program files
    3. Uninstall Parallels Tools
    4. Remove - Parallels Folder from c:\program files
    5. in folder c:\windows\system32\drivers remove files with prl in name checking s it Parallels driver, in their properties version - some third party drivers may have prl also so be carefull
    6. Install all stuff again