Parallels + Mac + Docker

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ArthurK4, Jun 25, 2024.

1. ArthurK4

ArthurK4 Bit poster

Hey.
    Is there a way to connect from my parallels windows instance to a website which is running on my docker container?

2. ArthurK4

ArthurK4 Bit poster

Best Answer
    In your case you can try to use the hostname of your mac and then the port.
    In my case it was kind of different.
    I had to add the ip of the mac and then the name of the url i want connect to in my hosts on windows.
    It is spryker

Mikhail Ushakov and UmerN1 like this.
  3. ArthurK4

ArthurK4 Bit poster

Ive got it:
    Hosts file on windows was the key.

4. UmerN1

UmerN1 Bit poster

Hi,
    I dont suppose you managed to get an answer to this? I hope you don't mind me posting here - rather than a new similar post - hopefully two of us asking a related question is more likely to get an answer? Or maybe some of the stuff I tried below might help you?
    If you rather I create my own thread please let me know..

I have docker running on my Mac M1 which is running a server container accepting WebSocket connections on port 15000. I can connect to it fine from within MacOS - but when I try from the parallels Windows VM - I am not able to connect.

I searched this forum and noted that the Mac host machine is allocated an IP of 10.211.55.2, so I tried connecting to 10.211.55.2:15000 - but nothing.
    I also tried adding 10.211.55.2 host to the windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file - and then tried using host:15000 - but still no joy..

5. UmerN1

UmerN1 Bit poster

Also, I forgot to ask - does the type of Network sharing affect the IP address allocated to the host machine?
    I also tried adding port forwarding under the Network Advanced settings to forward 15000 to Windows 15000 - did not help...

6. ArthurK4

ArthurK4 Bit poster

Best Answer
    In your case you can try to use the hostname of your mac and then the port.
    In my case it was kind of different.
    I had to add the ip of the mac and then the name of the url i want connect to in my hosts on windows.
    It is spryker

Mikhail Ushakov and UmerN1 like this.
  7. UmerN1

UmerN1 Bit poster

Thanks for the reply @ArthurK4 . Unfortunately that is not working for me.
    I can ping my Mac hostname from the Windows VM and that resolves to 10.211.55.2 - but when my application tries to connect to 10.211.55.2:15000 or myhostname:150000 - I just get Connection refused - no other information...
    I tried adding the hostname to the hosts file too... nothing doing...
    If anyone else has any ideas - I would appreciate the input.
    Thanks

8. UmerN1

UmerN1 Bit poster

Please ignore. I was doing a HomerSimpson - was editing a config file - but the example still had 'localhost' hardcoded elsewhere which overrode the config file.
    10.211.55.2:port works fine!