Parallels needs reinstall every time I use Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Eegah, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Eegah

Eegah Bit poster

Pretty much as title. I'm getting the drivers error (see image) whenever I reboot back into OSX after using Boot Camp. Reinstalling Parallels fixes this, but I don't think I'm supposed to have to reinstall every time I reboot. I've followed both the Knowledge Base article and the instructions in the help menu about moving driver.cap and sp2.cab to the Driver Cache folder, but none of these fix my problem.

Using a MacBook running 10.5.1, uild 5582, Win XP SP2 (but I think it's dying before even looking at the virtual machines). By the way, Build 5584 isn't available via Help-->Check for Updates.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  2. jarret777

jarret777 Bit poster

I am having the same problem.... was hoping that these guys would've answered you. The fact that they have not in over two months worries me greatly.

Parallels will not work after using XP on Bootcamp.
    (1) Parallels installs and works fine until you need to boot IN XP mode.
    (2) When you reboot back into Mac mode, Parallels will have died and generates the same error Sandy reported: "Parallels Desktop is unable to operate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Try to restart the application to overcome this issue. If restart doesn't help, re-install Parallels Desktop. Note that Parallels drivers require a short time to be properly started and initialized. So you may need to wait a minute before trying to launch the application."
    (3) I must uninstall and reinstall Parallels in order to get it to work again.

3. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

4. jarret777

jarret777 Bit poster

does not work

(1) I already have two profiles.
    (2) The solution you posted does not work as I can't even get into the configuration screen to begin with. The program crashes the second I click to open it.

5. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

6. jarret777

jarret777 Bit poster

...I should not have to do that though. The software should just be stable and work the same way every time. I did, however, find what I think to be the the root cause of the problems. If I am working in BootCamp and have an external HDD connected, I must remember to disconnect it before attempting to start Parallels.

7. FireClown

FireClown Member

In the hopes that if they'll fix this if they see more people with this problem, I'm adding a "me too" to this thread. Same symptoms as the earlier posts reported... boot into Boot Camp than boot into Mac OS and Parallels dies with that dialog. Reinstalling Parallels fixes things, but this happens every time I switch between booting to boot camp and using the VM to access the bootcamp partition. Reinstalling is only a temporary fix since it happens again the next time. A real solution needs to be developed.

8. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What file system is used in Windows?
    FAT32 or NTFS, is there any modem in Mac side, KeySpawn,or any specific software

9. FireClown

FireClown Member

Started as FAT32 and converted to NTFS in order to backup to WHS (problem occured with both file systems). No modem. No clue what keyspawn is, so no on that one, too.

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Try to perform permissions repair, if this doesn't help, open ticket in support queue